Melatonin Users

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lilione, Aug 22, 2005.

1. lilione

lilione New Member

Does melatonin generally work right away, or does it take time? My MD recommended it, but haven't had no luck with it for the first few days. I am taking 1 1/2 mg. sustained.
    I was on elavil and it did a great job, but I had a stroke June 11th and they are weaning me off of it.
    They may start Sennequin, but I have to be off the elavil.
    They have changed all my meds, gave me things that literally, I almost died from one. Don't have a stroke with Fibro is all I can say. PT is at a stand still as I wade through, how I can get some sleep and releif from all this pain.
    Thanks for any help and listening, Lili
  2. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

I was on it for many months and it seemed to work right away for me. Then suddenly it stopped working and I stopped taking it.

I seemed to have withdrawals for about 3 nights that I just thrashed about and couldn't sleep at all.

I thought it was the cause of some rashes and spots I had on my body, but later found out the spots were caused by yeast.

There was a good post on here about a week ago about melatonin but I can't remember what the name of the thread was. Valerian helps with sleep also, but I couldn't take it because it tore my stomach up, but I have a stomach condition, so a lot of things mess it up.

My doctor was the one who recommended the melatonin to me also. Now I'm sleeping too much so don't have that problem anymore.

A lot of people do get some help from it.

I'm sorry you are having to go through everything because of your stroke.

Good luck to you!

Hugs,
    Faye

3. donnaray

donnaray New Member

It should work right away but a lot of people need to take 3 mgs in order to get drowsy. I only need 1 mg and then I take an l-theanine along with it but I alternate nights with l-tryptophan so that I'm not taking the same thing every night. My body seems to have a tendancy to adjust to whatever I'm taking so I try not to take it more than two days in a row without alternating with something else.
  4. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Many people need 3 mg. to work. I also read it's better to NOT get the sustained release kind. Many people do better when it hits them all at once, instead of being released throughout the night. I take 2-1/2 to 3 mg. a night and it does help. I also take l-theanine (an amino acid) which is very calming.

You should notice something right away, I would think, if you're taking enough.

Mary
  5. Shirl

Shirl New Member

I take 2 1/2 milligrams of the Sublingual kind, just put it under the tongue, and I am sleepy in about 1/2 to 1 hour later. It works find.

I did not like the sustained kind, it did not give me that quick feeling of being sleepy.

You might want to switch over to either the regualer tables/capsules, or the sublingual kind.

The only thing I take for the FM pain is magnesium, you could ask your doctor about this mineral, its been wonderful for me. I am allergic to most meds, so do not take any pain meds.

I am very sorry to hear you had a stroke, I sure hope you are doing better now.

Shalom, Shirl
  6. lilione

lilione New Member

I'm taking this one day at a time. I plan on tweaking etc. and see if I can get better results.
    Thanks again. Lili
  7. kbak

kbak Member

I just read an article on the internet, (wish i could remember where), that said that people are taking to much melatonin. That if you take mcg's instead of mg's you will get a better long term working effect. So many people do good when they first taking it, then the effect seems to wear off after a certain amount of time.

According to this article, if you take just mcg's, and I'm sorry I can't remember how many mcg's, that you will have better luck with it in the long run. If you word it right, you might be able to find it in an internet search.

Wish I wasn't so brain dead!