Melatonin

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Marlene35, Jan 24, 2006.

1. Marlene35

Marlene35 New Member

Hello,

I am again in a flare-up with CFS. The insomnia has been so bad that I am not sleeping any (for at least two weeks) and I am desperate to get some help. All of the things I have been taking is not working (L-Tryptophan, Elavil, ZMA, etc.) So last night I took Melatonin. It made me feel wierd and made my heart race, but it didn't put me to sleep. Can anyone tell me if it is neccessary to take this for more than one night before it starts working.

I have an appointment with my doctor on Thursday as I am thinking it must be something with my thyroid, adrenals or hormones that is keeping me awake all of the time.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you so much.

Marlene
  2. elliespad

elliespad Member

When you take L-Tryptophan, did you know you MUST take it with B-6 so it is converted to Seratonin in the BRAIN and NOT the intestines? I know I cannot convert B-6 to the active form,(I've had testing) so I have to take it in its' already converted form, which is called P5P. Solgar carries this P5P or available online. It is a MUST that B-6 be taken with it. Also, it should be taken away from any protein as those amino acids will compete for uptake in the brain. I take 1500 mg.. I will say, I have used Dr. Best brand and it is crap. Some of my favorites are BIOS, CRAIG, LIDTKE. Also Nokomis Nutrition markets their own brand and I have been using it for few months, seems fine.

The other thing that really helped me, is recently I started at the FFC in Conneticut and he added a supplement called REST & RESTORE. It contains GABA, Valerian Root, Sculcap, Passion Flower, L-Theonine, 5HTP, melatonin. This item I have not been able to find duplicated anywhere else. But, I have bought GABA at Vitamin World, theirs' contains inositol. I take 1000 mg. of the GABA no matter which formula I am using. And I could take up to 3,000 mg according to the Suggested Use.

I have used just the L-Tryptophan for 4 or 5 years and only added the GABA in the past 2 months. I try to remember to take an amino acid complex to prevent becoming deficient in others. I would add the B-6 at night with the L-Tryptophan (since you have the Tryptophan anyway) and see if it makes a difference. Also, are you taking enough? You can take 500 mg. per 50 lbs. of body weight. I do well with 1500 mg. even though my math skills say I should be taking more .

Also, I hate to repeat the obvious, but don't eat after 6 pm. especially anything starchy or sweet. If you have a problem (like I do) overproducing Insulin, the Insulin surge will keep you awake all night.

If this is already old news, I'm sorry. And I hope you can get some quality sleep soon.
  3. Marlene35

Marlene35 New Member

Thank you so much for all of the good information. No, I do not take B6 with the L-Tryptophan, however, I take a multi with it in during the morning. That is a good suggestion about taking the Amino Acids in a complex to be sure that I am not getting unbalanced. What brand do you take? Do you sleep a full night with what you are taking.

Did you ever use Melatonin? I was wondering if it takes several nights before it works.

Again, thank you so much. I will try the things you mentioned.

Marlene
  4. Marlene35

Marlene35 New Member

Any other comments about Melatonin or other sleep aids would be appreciate.

Thank you.

Marlene
  5. jane32

jane32 New Member

I take melatonin 2.5 sublingual. It works good for me but does nto keep me asleep for 8 hrs. so I take another one inthe middle of hte night. I fyou ahve a slight sleep problem it works but nothing more then that. My sleeping got worse this month so I tried 2 mg. of lunesta-way too strong. I slept all day the next day. Now I crush them in half so I take 1 mg. a night. It has worked so good but I am still a little sleepy for the first half of the day. But I am so happy that I am not wide awake anymore from 3-7 in the morning! I think everything is trial and error. Try takign two melatonin-it shoud out you to sleep. I still take one with the lunesta.
  6. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Hi Marlene - I think melatonin tends to work right away the same night you take it.

I suggest you get your cortisol levels tested. Mine were high, and they caused severe middle of the night insomnia. I take Seriphos (phosphorylated serine) which reduced my cortisol and helped with sleep.

but you shouldn't take Seriphos without getting your cortisol tested, as it seems to be low for many people. It's just strange.

but this did make a big difference for me.

I don't know how old you are. There may be something hormonal going on which your doctor can test.

Benadryl helps in a pinch. It's not really a solution but it might help you get some sleep until you find out what's going on.

I had the saliva cortisol testing done through Clymer Healing Researcfh in Pennsylvania. They're on the Internet. We did everything by phone, e-mail and regular mail.

amino acid l-theanine is very good for calming. It helps the brain produce GABA. I think it works better than taking straight GABA.

I presume you're taking enough calcium and magnesium also? These are very important for sleep.

Also, do a search on this board for "sleep" - there have been many many posts about sleep and there's lots more information. I hope you get some relief soon --

Mary
  7. pepper

pepper New Member

I just got back from seeing my dr. to have my sleeping meds changed - again! - because I am having so much trouble sleeping. He asked me if I was taking Melatonin and when I said yes, he told me to stop. He said that in many people it has a paradoxical reaction so it might be contributing to my insomnia!

When I took the 2.5 mg sublinguals, I was bug-eyed all night. My CFS doc told me to cut them in half and I thought that it was helping me get to sleep. But maybe not. I am going to go without it tonight and see if I sleep better.

Melatonin works right away; it does not need to build up in your system. If you are deficient, it should help you sleep. Just be aware that some people have paradoxical reactions.

Pepper