Melatonin

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by cjg4ever, Jan 10, 2007.

1. cjg4ever

cjg4ever New Member

Has anyone ever taken this,its called Melatonin.My councler suggested I try it for sleep.I have never heard of it.
  2. grace54

grace54 New Member

works well for me, I take half of a 3mg pill and don't feel hungover the next day.
  3. mrdad

mrdad New Member

Yes. I've been taking it for about 1 1/2 years! Believe
    they recommend that you not exceed 3 mg's a day! Does
    work for me. You might wish to "Google" it to obtain
    info. on the Suppliment. Told my M.D. I was taking it
    and he did not seem concerned. May work as well as taking
    anti-depressants as a "re-uptake inhibitor".

The Paper Back: "Prescription for Nutritional Healing"
    is a good source of general info. on Sups. as well as
    lots of General "stuff".

Best Wishes,
    MRDAD aka JOE
    P.S. A Dairy in Wisconsin. Thats like finding Coal in
    NEWCASLE!! My Doc is from there and makes me sing
    "On Winconsin" fight song and wear that silly Cheese
    Hat" while I'm sitting on the exam table!! Brother!!!!

[This Message was Edited on 01/10/2007]
  4. Diva55

Diva55 New Member

Hi
    I've been reading about Melatonin & thought it would help me. But I went to some health shops over here & they all said it was banned in the UK!

I was told that it makes the pituary gland lazy & so the Government had banned it. I was told that 5HTP was available as it stimulates the pituary to produce Melatonin.

I'm now confused! Is Melatonin widely available, as in over the counter, in the US? If so I wonder if it's different to what they have banned over here?

Has anyone heard of the warnings that it can make the pituary lazy?

Thanks for your help.
  5. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

Different countries seem to be sort of arbitrary in what they allow to be sold over the counter.

Melatonin, DHEA and pregnenelone are hormones that are available over the counter in some countries but not others.

l-tryptophan is not available over the counter in the U.S. One of the most popular antidepressants in the world (Roche's Moclobomide) is not available here either.

To my understanding, cough and cold medicines are not available in Denmark. (Someone there told me that interfering with mucus production is thought to be wrong and that you're supposed to just wait it out.)

I personally find melatonin most helpful for jet leg or when my sleep cycle gets thrown off for some reason.

I've not yet tried Rozerem, but it's interesting that Takeda would create a drug that is supposed to do exactly what melatonin already does.

In general, melatonin is supposed to reset the sleep cycle (so that you get sleepy at the right time). Most sleep medications just make people sleepy.

A lot of people with CFS find Klonopin useful for getting deeper sleep.

Personally, I think melatonin has its uses. I've not heard anyone say that it was the answer to their prayers, though.....if that's any consolation.