Memory and Fibromyalgia

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by serenityskyline, May 23, 2009.

1. serenityskyline

serenityskyline New Member

I am just wondering if anyone feels as though their memory is a little worse than just the "fibro-fog? If so, are you doing anything to help it?

God Bless you all!!
  2. pacotaco

pacotaco New Member

the only advice I can give to you is that I would read good books, and since i couldnt retain what i would read, i just kept going over n over page after page n it seems to help, keeping your mind bzy, but to follow directions on how to to something, forget it..i am lousey., i cant do such simple things like i used to so doing more difficult tasks are really challenging.I guess it is another thing we have to deal with and can not really seem to find a way to help it. i find that sometimes if some one needs something, they could be giving me a hint or it is something a person should just know,it doesn't register in my mind at all which makes me appear to be thoughtless, and I am not so it is quite a dilema that I wish i could help you with, and sorry that i can not, but books,books, books,........miss pacotaco
  3. trini23

trini23 New Member

Games on the computer does help, like those playfirst website games, I like some of those, I started to write a book, lol takes me forever to finish it fact it's been 1 1/2 years now and it's still not finish *sigh* but you know It does help with the repeatable process, what I mean is, I would write 5 pages and then go back and do spell checks or rewrite a few sentences. it really does help, kinda like repetition.

when I can't write due to being on my low days sometimes weeks, and when I feel like writing again, I have to reread the pages I wrote...maybe thats why it's taking a long time to finish hehehe anyways, I think you should look to what you think is fun for you and what level your pain is, for me I love to read books but I can't sit and read for a long time, not like when I was younger, the pains in my neck gets worse =( one of reason why I can't stay on the computer long as well. but I do love my PC! typing isn't as painful as writing...not just for me, but for anyone who is brave enough to read my handwriting when the wrist starts to flare up hehehe

I have had days when I seem to have more memory loss then other days, but those are the days when I am suffering from my fatigue state and when I fight it, I end up passing out on my couch, at my bed, at the sidewalk ....luckily I was just gardening then.
    But seriously, if you think your memory has gotten worst do seek your doctors advice, don't ignore your feelings, it's better to be safe then sorry later on.

Take care!
    <3 Trini

4. michsteep

michsteep New Member

I have noticed that my memory is very short. I usually have to write things down and can ask my husband the same questions 2 or 3 times. The other thing I've noticed is I have a difficult time w/ numbers - adding, subtracting etc. I've let everybody know and usually my husband can fill in the blanks. And when I have my fibro fog, I have a harder time even thinking coherent thoughts and speaking intelligently. On my good days, which I really haven't had lately, I can get a lot done but still need my lists. I do a lot of reading ....
  5. GranmaBB

GranmaBB New Member

It's hard to believe that I used to have such a great career and had a great memory.
    But that's all changed now.
    My family is pretty understanding about it, but it depresses me a lot.
    I can never remember the year I got married or moved into this house or the years the grandchildren were born.
    My husband used to get mad at me, but now we both laugh about it - usually.

I feel like I just get blank spots in my brain sometimes where things got erased.
    At least I can watch a movie twice and enjoy it again because I don't usually remember it.

And then there are times when my memory is perfectly clear and I remember the most ridiculous details.