Memory drawing blanks

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by WhoSaid, Jul 23, 2008.

1. WhoSaid

WhoSaid New Member

I have times when I can say a word or a name (like ansewring a trivia question) then the second the words leave my mouth I have no idea what the word or name was. The rest of the sentance is still there but the one word or name is totally gone. It may come back an hour or so later.
    There are times when I am trying to say one thing but can't find the right word. I try to find another word to replace the one that is hiding and some times it works.
    Is this common?
  2. texangal81

texangal81 New Member

From what I've read, this is part of this #)$&*DD. I find I simply cannot find the word at times and it is really frustrating when I'm at work. I'll try for another word too and sometimes I can get it that way. I've always prided myself with my vocabulary and this part of FM is what is the hardest for me - this and the fibro-fog. I am going to start taking CO-q10 and I'll let you know how much it helps.

3. WhoSaid

WhoSaid New Member

I will look into CoQ10 also.
    I look forward to reading what you post.
  4. lynn3811

lynn3811 New Member

I'm the same way! It amazes me how symptoms are the same with some many people. I'll be talking to someone, and then a word just disappears!

5. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

I have a lot of trouble remembering...

uhm... those things...

you know, those ahhhh....

they are made of tellers NO! letters, yeah letters

and they mean stuff

and you use them in sentences

is that right?

Not the white picket thing around the uhm, you know, where the grass is, you know... not that sentence

WAIT! That's not a sentence, that's a fentence! Hmmmm, that doesn't look right...

Yeah, I... ahhh... what was I saying?
  6. harmony21

harmony21 New Member

I too have this more some days than others I now give myself permission and just keep quiet

anyway Iam much of a hermit these days so I dont stress

angel hugs

7. bellydonna

bellydonna New Member

I forget and also substitute words- sometimes the word that comes out of my mouth is related to the word I intended, other times unrelated.
    frustrating (but some of the stuff I say is admittedly funny)
    you are not alone on this forgetting stuff.
    If taking medicines, could likely be an effect of mdicine.
  8. WhoSaid

WhoSaid New Member

Thanks for letting me know I am not alone in this and that I am not heading for a padded room.... err scratch that.
    The most overused words in my vocabulary lately are gizmo and gadget. Thingy thingy gets in there from time to time too.
    Makes it hard to talk to people when you lose the words and they don't understand your problems.
  9. monicaz49

monicaz49 New Member

Bad memory for me.
    I start watching something i enjoy on TV then i change it and begin to watch something else. That quick I can not remember what it was I was watching just a minute ago. I go blank and it frustrates me that i cant retain info short-term unless i try.

Also i cant hold a thought while im trying to listen to someone talk. Needless to say, I write notes to myself a LOT.
  10. harmony21

harmony21 New Member

then I cant remember where i put them!!!!lol

aint life just grand?????

angel hugs
  11. lsaxton65

lsaxton65 New Member

i used to be able to socialize with anyone, but nowadays, i steer clear of conversations for the simple fact i will put my foot in my mouth.

when i used to work i would forget my medical terminology that i spoke everyday...i felt very stupid in front of my coworkers and doctors. i just shut my mouth and attempted to focus on my work.

i forget simple words (blanket, know, that thing???) i would gesture or point and get so frustratedi would want to scream.

this is so common, but if you try to explain it to non-fm'ers, they usually reply "i forget things all the time"...IT"S NOT THE SAME PEOPLE!!!

YOU'RE SO FUNNY RAFIKI!!=)[This Message was Edited on 08/08/2008]
  12. MsE

MsE New Member

Haven't had such a good out-loud laugh in ages! Thanks. MsE
  13. kking0412

kking0412 New Member

is this common? absolutely YES. ask any of us, we'll say the same thing if we can remember the question.......
  14. Pansygirl

Pansygirl New Member

I definitely have memory issues. Before this dd I had a really good memory.

I write myself lots of notes now and sometimes still forget to do what I wrote down.

Yesterday I was talking on the phone to a friend and was trying to say a word ~ I tried to say it several times and it kept coming out garbled. :(

Gentle hugs, Susan
  15. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

ETA It is a pretty accurate representation of what goes on in my head, oh my. Ah well.

[This Message was Edited on 08/09/2008]
  16. MerrimackRiver

MerrimackRiver New Member

Thank goodness for this thread . . .

I honestly thought I was getting dementia. I don't have anyone in my corner of the world who has fibro that I can talk to. Same as above I want to say something, know the word is in my "memory bank" but find I have to substitute a word (if I can find one.) Sometimes I point to my husband to help me when "I'm lost" for a word and generally he can help me. I find it can be embarrassing.
    Also find I have to watch my spelling and grammar more closely. Not something I had a problem with years ago.
  17. jenn_c

jenn_c New Member

I have the worst time with word retrieval and spelling now. I used to be great at spelling and my mouth worked really good. I was just replying to another post and had to sit there for a few minutes trying to come up with the word referal, and have had to look in dictionary since replying to this one. It is driving me crazy. It is likeok, I finally got my pain somewhat controlled now my mind is going. How much can this disease take from me????

18. kat-E

kat-E New Member

I can barely remember my own name, but even normals tell me they have the same problem. So I don't know that it is so much the DD or if it is another issue, like poor diet in our society or our brains being scrambled from electromagnetic energy or something. Who knows?

It is not only my memory for words tho; it is also the ability to do things I do regularly... Like opening a box or tying a shoe. I am not even 40 yet... This should not be an issue

I hope it gets better for you soon. Have you tried Omega 3's?
  19. Crispangel66

Crispangel66 New Member

It is so upsetting and embarassing, my hubby thinks it is the meds I am on. The only problem with that idea is that it only happens around the first of the month and I am on my neds all month. I feel like an idiot when I go through this. I am going through it now but it isn't as bad as ususal thank GOD. I am so bad sometimes I run into things and I fall down. Then once it is over I can't remember what happened during the time I was out of it. I actually feel like I was on Illegal drugs the whole time but I haven't had anything like that since I was a teenager and that was a long long time ago!! I wish I would Never have to deal with this again I am tired of this!! I hope none of you mind that I printed out this so that my hubby can see that this is part if fms/cfs not me being nuts or the meds I am on, the dr I am seeing is making sure that I am taking meds that it will not hurt to mix. Gentle nugs Crispangel
  20. jenn_c

jenn_c New Member

On top of the word retrieval issue I am more clumsy than before. I have always stubbed my toes or walked into things but since coming down with fibro it is alot worse. I have a black toenail on each foot. When they had me on ambien before it was to much with the other meds. I would getup to go to the bathroom(1/2 time didn't make it) and I would fall asleep on the toilet. I fell off it one night and hit my head on the tub. Another night I fell asleep standing at the bathroom sink and fell into the tub, shower curtain came with me. How embarrassing. So I stopped taking ambien. I still walk into things though and sometimes I can be standing still and will feel myself lose my balance. Now when we ( my family) go out shopping, if my husband wants to walk to a different area, my daughter ( almost 16) stays with me to "look outforme".Is this normal?? I feel like I am 2...