Memory Foam or Featherbed?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by tabby8, Aug 29, 2009.

1. tabby8

tabby8 New Member

I would appreciate anyone's opinion as to which one is more comfortable for my aching body. My mattress and box spring are fairly new but with my hips and arms giving me more problems, I thought adding a layer of softness would help.
  2. debilyn

debilyn New Member

Is what I put on my bed a couple of months ago. I love it. It is soft on top but I can still feel the underneath support of my mattress.

I have a memory foam pillow. After using that for awhile I decided I'd like the feather bed better. I love it =)

3. butterflydream

butterflydream New Member

5" gusset . Would never be without it !!!!
  4. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

I bought a bed that has alot of quilting and padding. You feel like you're sleeping on pillows. Supposedly guaranteed to not have any springs dig into you.

It has helped tremendously with discs in my upper back and neck. But I'm having such a problem with my Lyme arthritis in my lower back and right hip that it's just not helping that. And the bed is so high up, I keep pulling out muscles and a ligament getting on it. I've had it about a month now.

My deciding factor in buying this bed was that when I tried a firmer one in the store, the firmer one was murder on my fibro pain. It was hitting the fibro points in my back and legs and I was like OW. So I went with this one that didn't do that.

Ultimately, it's just whatever feels right for your body. I just hope this bed lasts me a long time. I can't afford another one.
  5. tabby8

tabby8 New Member

Thanks, guys for your replies. I was sort of leaning toward the featherbed cause my daughter has one that I've slept on before and it felt good.

Getting quality sleep is so important with this condition, and thinking of the long winter ahead and my hibernation (ha ha), I'm trying to optimize the sleep experience.

Teabisquit, I know of where you speak. My discs are crumbling in my neck and upper back as well, and osteoarthritis in my hips gives me plenty of tenderness. I've been using a waterpillow for a couple years now and find it very good. I also have to put a pillow between my knees when I sleep on my side, and under them when on my back.

Thanks again, folks. :)
  6. malony33

malony33 New Member

is what we bought, not so firm that I ache the next A.M., and not too soft because my fibro-ed body needs some good support.

Any kind of memory topping is not for us (fibro folks); You sink in, it gets hard, your elbows, hips, etc. will hurt like H**L the next day.

A pillow top attached to the bed will be crushed flat in two years, so there goes the softness.

I can't comment on a soft, separate layer such as those in BED, BATH, AND BEYOND, etc., since I've never slept on one, but they FEEL good to the touch. Would be a cheaper option to try before buying a new bed.

But, if you do have to purchase a new one, go to a reliable mattress store and if possible spend a bit of $$ on a bed. Take your time and LIE DOWN on it. Lean on your ELBOW for a while (those elbows sue can scream, can't they?). Go with a BRAND and stay away from the LOW END of the beds they manufacture.

I hope this works out for you soon, because the right bed means good, restorative sleep, which is what those with fibro need so much.

7. tabby8

tabby8 New Member

Yes, I seem to remember something negative that was said about memory foam, how it wasn't suitable for us fibro sufferers..but I've never tried it myself.

Our queen bed is still only a couple years old, so I won't be buying a new one yet. I think I will try the featherbed on top of my bed--I hope my husband likes it too!

8. butterflydream

butterflydream New Member

reading your last reply tabby, i felt need to post this.

We also have queen size bed.
    I have Fibro, hubby has back problems.

I purchased the TWIN size FeatherTopper with 5 inch gusset.
    Feathertopper did not work well with Hubbys back so the TWIN size for our Queen size bed is wonderful. One queen bed that suits both our sleeping needs.

Thought i'd pass this on for more info.

Be Well

HVACWIFE1 New Member

I bought a waterbed. It is great!!