Memory foam pillow and comfortable bedding for CFS?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mandyau, Dec 14, 2005.

1. mandyau

mandyau New Member

Hi does anyone use memory foam pillows?Just wandering what everyone thinks of them? wether theyre more comfy and supportive than others?
    i just brought one and used it for the first time last night anyway i woke with a really sore neck and headache, I bought the memory foam cause its supposed to be good for your head and neck while your sleeping, Im hoping its just cause i need to get used to it and not my CFS giving me headaches.

Also what does everyone use on there bed to ease their sore muscles sometimes i put heaps heaps of Quilts on my bed to lay on and i still feel sore when i wake. I have a okay mattress a foam underlay, a woolen underlay on top of that.
    Any ideas?
  2. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

any theymust be the ortho pilllows to support the neck....if i goto a hotel and use theoe wake my neck so bad off....

i am considering a qeeen sizemememory bed for me pr or jst getting amemeory form mattress topper....

wwell i need to get back a memory topper to put on my bed i won already and see how that will make mee fell.....

jfoie
  3. sues1

sues1 New Member

I got a Cuddle Ewe recently and really like it. I am not as achy and I do not get as achy and hurting as much during the day.

I am one who can never find the right pillow for me. Most causes a stiff neck and headaches. The pillow that was sent "free" with the cuddle Ewe is great. I would of never ordered it otherwise and I would of missed out on this.

We are all different......what is good for one is not for the other!

A Fibro friend ordered one and she is elated with the way she sleeps now. Said that she is getting her first deep sleeps in years.

I bought it off this site and they are having a sale and pillow comes with it and free shipping right now.
  4. Suzan

Suzan New Member

Two foam pillows that is...One is a bit stiffer than the other...and then I have an old fashioned dacron (?) filled pillow too. Depends on the night which gets the most use! But, my go to pillow is the firmer memory foam contour one. I breathe better with it..seems to keep my airway tilted best. When the points at the back of my head hurt..I prefer the softer memory foam pillow. For the rare occasions I manage to sleep on my tummy..which is my favorite way to fall asleep...then it is the dacron pillow.

But...I would reccommend a contour mem foam pillow to everyone..it takes a bit of getting used to..but I think does help give a better night sleep.
  5. Dee50

Dee50 New Member

I like my water pillow best. No sore neck in the morning.

Second fav. pillow is my buckwheat pillow if I'm night sweating. It cools my head but, I've got a sore neck in the morning after I use it most of the time.

You might add one more foam mattress to your pile since you have wood under it. If you can get a good one.

Take care,
    Dee50
    [This Message was Edited on 12/15/2005]
  6. kbak

kbak Member

Hi Mandy,
    I also had a memory foam pillow, and had the same problem. I woke up with neck and shoulder problem's. I had to quit sleeping on it. Again it's a personal thing. Something will work for one person and not another. I have never found anything "perfect" to sleep on, just things that are more tolerable than other's.

Good Luck,
    K.
  7. WoodstocksMusic

WoodstocksMusic New Member

which is a memory foam. I have 2 different memory foam pillows and 2 other pillows... on bad nights I switch back and forth between. One memory foam is for tummy sleeping and one is for side sleeper.

I also have a select number (air mattress). I have had it for 1 1/2 years now and will never sleep on anything else.
  8. Smiffy

Smiffy Member

Hi Mandy. I have a 2" memory foam mattress topper (from the t.v. shopping channels) to ease the pain & it's wonderful. I sent back the funny shaped pillow that came with it, as it was so uncomfortable. Has anyone tried a 'normal' shaped mempry foam pillow please?
  9. alonebutnotlonely

alonebutnotlonely New Member

mandyau,

I have a Talalay Latex bed that I bought on line from a company called foamsweetfoam. I have never slept beter. While sleeping I can lay on my right side (bad, bad shoulder) and it NEVER hurts my hips. Unlike Memory Foam this doesn't get too warm during the hot months.

I just went to the foam sweet foam web site and they are having a sale. Just click on Ultimate Plus. They are not cheap but my mattress has saved me.

It is also quite a show when you open the mattress layers.

Dee
  10. tansy

tansy New Member

but found many that should have helped made my cervical spine issues worse.

It was chatting with a PT recently and he made me think about pillows again. I sent off for a diamond spring pillow, and it works a treat. I live in the UK.

These pillows have a soft spring like formation inside them, they support every area of the neck and head, and adjust to any movements or change of position.

The memory foam pillow I tried was shaped and I think that's why I had problems with it.

Tansy
    [This Message was Edited on 12/16/2005]
  11. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

SOLD ME a water pillow for $90. Didn't help me at all. (However he is still an excellent bonecracker, so I don't regret the experiment.)
  12. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

I just got a Cuddle Ewe underquilt from this site and I really like it. I have been using it for three weeks. I could tell a difference right away. I didn't have the sore spots during the night that make me shift positions all night long. And I now wake without stiffness for a change!

I like the free pillow that came with it, too. I have many, many pillows and this is now my favorite. Nothing fancy. Just a basic pillow shape. But it's not too hard or too fluffy, like many pillows.

I found the memory foam pillows too hard. I woke with a stiff neck and headache after using one. And my ears always hurt!

Of course, I also have to have a pillow between my knees. Couldn't sleep without that!

Katy
    [This Message was Edited on 12/16/2005]
  13. mandyau

mandyau New Member

Hopefully the memory foam pillow will be ok for me and i just have to get used to it, im so sick of buying them and theyre no good! I'd def have to look into getting a new bed if they werent so expensive, might just have to look at another bed topper thing.
    Thanks heaps. xx
  14. onnaroll

onnaroll New Member

my mom ordered me memory foam matress cover it works awesome
    ill have to find out where she ordered it . I WAS SURPRIZED
    that it was only forty dollars.
  15. maris

maris New Member

I tried the contour, and regular memory foam pillows, both gave me neck and head aches.

I also had to return the select comfort sleep number bed. I woke with both of my arms and hands numb from sleeping on it, it also gave me neck problems.

I couldn't sleep more than three hours at a time on the select comfort bed.

Good thing it comes with a money back guarantee within thirty days.

I went back to my Sealy posterputic, and hydroflow pillow from my fibro doctor, and now sleep very well.

Just my experience.
    Maris
  16. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

and it really made a diiference.I now have a memory foam bed(4 or 6 inches of foam,not sure)with my topper over it.It's heavenly.

I use differant(sp) pillows depending on the night.I alternate between a feather pillow and a regular shapped memory foam.
  17. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

THIS SITE AND asked if the Cuddle Ewe was washable. Got no answer. So much for customer service. A concept that has pretty much disappeared over the last half century.

They say you're old when you think things used to be better. Well, I'm pretty old.