Memory Foam Pillow

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by dhcpolwnk, Dec 19, 2002.

1. dhcpolwnk

dhcpolwnk New Member

Does anybody have any experience with using a memory foam pillow to help with sleep? This was mentioned by the PT who conducted the class I took on fibromyalgia, and today, I stopped into a store in the mall where the manager showed me a couple of them.

They're pretty expensive (normally $79 for a standard size pillow, on sale for another week or so for $56), and I don't want to spend the money if it just winds up like several other things I've tried--either doing no good or making things worse. So I really would appreciate any feedback anybody might have to offer. Thanks.

--Laura R.M.

2. cls

cls New Member

but tried one out in my chiro's office and it pressed on the trigger points that are on my scalp, so I do better with a pillow for my neck instead (one of those long, narrow tube shapped pillows). Why is your PT recommending one?
  3. tandy

tandy New Member

I had asked about this pillow too a while back.I never did try one,but might someday~They can be found cheaper than that tho~When I was looking around,I seen them somewhere for $30 something.Now if I can remember where....lol.If I should figure it out-I'll post it for ya.
    I did try the buckwheat filled pillows....hated it!!too hard for my soft little head~(and I think it was around 40 bucks!kiss that goodbye...)I gave it to my mom.I don't think she uses it either. Oh well...live&learn.
    Tracey
  4. dhcpolwnk

dhcpolwnk New Member

My PT just talked about it generally being something that could be helpful for people with fibro, not specifically for me. I'm not scheduled to see her until Jan. 6 because she works only part time and is *very* good, and therefore has a waiting list.

:^(

I'm hoping that when I have the appointment with her, she may be able to give me some more specific and personalized guidance.

In any case, thanks for the feedback. The man I talked to today said I could try the pillow out for up to 14 days and return it if it didn't work out. That's very unusual, I understand. But after reading what you said, I'm a little more leery. And it's a heckuva a lot of money for a pillow. I guess if it works, it would be worth it, but I've tried so much that *hasn't* worked. I guess we all go through that process.

Anyway, thanks for writing.

--Laura R.M.
  5. dhcpolwnk

dhcpolwnk New Member

My son and my dad both use buckwheat pillows. I tried one of theirs once, and it didn't impress me. But that was before my fibro diagnosis. Now, I don't know whether that would help or hurt!

Please do post something (and/or e-mail me directly at af752@lafn.org) if you find out more about less expensive options for the memory foam pillow. I don't know whether I'm going to get one right away, while they're still on sale, or wait to get more guidance from my PT when I finally get to see her in January.

Thanks.

--Laura R.M.
  6. Shirl

Shirl New Member

BUT I love my buckwheat pillows, I must have six of them in all sizes. The most confort I have found since I was diagnosed with Fibro. But they do take a week or more to get used to.

Also, have any of you tired rice socks? they make the best neck rolls there is. You can just use them for a neck roll or heat them in the mico wave if you want heat or put them in the freezer if your want them cold.

In case you have not heard this on the board, you get mens tube socks, fill them three quarters full of raw rice, then tie the ends, sew them, or use a ponytail twist.
    (You can also put natural 'scents' in them, I use fresh Bayleaf).

This is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

They can be used anywhere you have pain, hot or cold.

This was told to us when I first came on this board almost two years ago. I keep at least six of them, two in the freezer in case of a headache, the others I use for heat when I have pain, and one for a neckroll for sleep.

Shalom, Shirl