Memory foam topper, need advice

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lvjesus, Aug 16, 2005.

1. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

I am looking at a 1.5" memory foam topper on Walmart.com for 64.50 for the queen. I am thinking of adding it to my 2" topper that I already have in hopes that I can stop waking up with hip pain when I am laying on my right side.

I don't know exactly what type of advise I want. I guess I want to see if anyone thinks this is a good idea or does anyone have a topper from WalMart (made by Leggett&Platt), or has anyone had a topper and added more and found it helped.

Thanks guys, I know you all will come through for me!!!

Sonya
  2. CFIDSNicole

CFIDSNicole New Member

WEll, I don't have a memory foam topper, but my sister does. I don't know what brand she has--she bought it from overstock, but she bought one, and then liked it so much she bought another one. She stacked them on the top of her mattress and loves it. She hasn't had any problem doing this.

Hope this helps,
    Nicole
  3. reeann926

reeann926 New Member

I recently bought the Dan Marino memory-foam topper at Linens&Things for my queen-size bed. It was a bit pricier than yours (around $300), but it's 4" thick and feels terrific. If you want more information, call Linens&Things, or visit their on-line store.
  4. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

The one I have is from Sleep Innovations and came from Linens and Things. It is 2" and was $179. I love it and am just wondering, is more really more. Thanks!

Sonya
  5. reeann926

reeann926 New Member

Hmmm. Good question. I chose the 4" topper because I am not a tiny person (5'9" tall and 160 lbs), and I figured that the extra padding would be more supportive.
  6. browneyelady48

browneyelady48 New Member

I am also curious about the one from Wallmart. I brought a feather down for my bed and I need something to go on my bed in my travel trailer.

I love the topper I have on my bed now, and we will be taking the travel trailer to the beach next month for a couple of weeks, and after sleeping on my soft topper I know I will not be able to sleep on the bed thats in the travel trailer.

I have a pinched nerve in my shoulder and since sleeping on the topper I havent wake up with it hurting as bad.

But I have had it for 3 months and the topper isnt as soft. But I quess thats to be expected.
    Love Brenda
  7. virgo_karen

virgo_karen New Member

I bought mine from Wal-Mart about 6-7 months ago, that is the memory form topper. I sleep so much better, I had a feather topper before. The feather topper worked out okay but the stiching in the middle wore out and then the topper would be flat. I had to fluff it out all the time and it was hard on me to do that.

I figure that when my memory form topper starts to wear out, I will get another one and put the new one on top of the other. Like I said, I just love mine, I sleep so much better.

Karen
  8. browneyelady48

browneyelady48 New Member

Karen thanks so much. I will be getting me one the next time I make it into Wallmart.

And will probably later on have to get another one for my bed here. I loved the feather topper when I first got it, but like I said it gets flatter and flatter. With this price like you said I can just replace it when needed.

Its always better when you know someone that has tried something.

Love Brenda
  9. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

I am still wondering if anyone has had a thinner one and bought another to put on top and if thicker was better.

I want to get one that is twin size for traveling too. I had thought to get one for travel and use it on top of my other when I am home.

Hey, that gave me a revelation! I can get a single now and do that anyway! I had found one on Overstock.com and hubby had found one at Sam's but both were a bit too pricey, although reasonable, for me.

I am going to check out the 1.5" on WalMart.com and see how much that one is!

Sonya
  10. CFIDSNicole

CFIDSNicole New Member

Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear in my earlier post. My sister bought a thinner one--2" I think, and liked it, but still had a sore back, so she bought another one (maybe 3") to put on top to see if it would be more comfortable, and it was.

Her sore back is much much better and she sleeps better.

Does that help?
    Nicole
  11. Alyndra

Alyndra New Member

One in a spare room that is 4" thick and the one on my bed which is 1.5" thick.

Truthfully, I find no difference between the two. But when it slides around ontop of my bed abit (from the really bad nights) or when I have to change things around.. I'd much rather be adjusting the 1.5" one seeing as it's MUCH lighter.
  12. razorqueen

razorqueen Member

I bought a 2 inch 4lb density twin XL memory foam topper from Ebay, for my bed. I think the density is more important than the thickness. If it more dense it will be more supportive. I like mine and got it for a great price considering it had to be shipped to Canada! We have 2 twin XL bed pushed together cause I can't sleep if my hubby moves around (and he does) so this was our solution for that. But, now my bed is higher than his! LOL Oh well, ya gotta do what ya gotta do!!
  13. cat0993

cat0993 New Member

Hi all: I have a memory foam mattress that was supposed to form to your body. It's like a rock! My husband is a big guy (6'2"/240 lbs) and his side of the bed is a big gulley! I want a topper that will be soft and comfortable, but I'm allergic to down. Any suggestions?

CAT
  14. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

Thanks very much for clarifying. I am going to order the 1.5 I think. I am worried about the sheets not fitting. I can't afford to pay a fortune for deep pockets. The jersey sheets I have now stretch enough to go over the corners. I don't really care if it is not long enough on the side!

Sonya
  15. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

One person loves hers, another says it wore out and got too flat (I would have sent it to tailor for restitching).

My question is are your feather toppers down or feather, feather will be firmer?

I'm going to order a feather topper from Sears, they have an almost half price sale on them until Nov., Queen is $204. It's a firm support goose feather, baffle box, w/ cotton percale cover and separate zippered cotton cover 300 thread count. Sounds great.

Is that at all similar to what you have?

Jeanne
  16. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

They are becoming such a fad. Many people are finding they are too hot, and some sweat uncomfortably. Some are having allergic reactions. I'm too chemically sensitive, I know they aren't an option for me. But Ron calls me the canary in the coal mine, you know the one that tests if its safe for others to proceed w/ caution or not.

I'm very leery of what long term health risks memory foam will be found to be causeing down the road. Who knows what chemical concoction goes into them.

We thought we were using teflon safely to cook w/ and it's in all kinds of cleaning supplies and places we don't expect it. Now many studies say its breakdown products are very toxic. Same w/ flame retardants in all our furniture, rugs, and even electronics (govt. ordered in Canada). Only IKEA and Toshiba is known to not use them (that I know of). All these chemicals are turning up in polar bears in the arctic and scientists are baffled how they got there. the chemicals are in our breast milk, scientists are not at all baffled at that, we eat and breath them everyday.

for those in the States, CuddleEwe is a natural wool/cotton covered alternative sold at this store. Proceeds of course go to research to find a cure for all of us. The shipping would be killer for me in Canada though. And I loved my old heavy, chunky feather pillows, wore them to threadbare over 20 years.

Jeanne
  17. rt6176

rt6176 New Member

I agree about the chemical part. The odor really made me ill.

I cut and sealed 1/2 of the topper inside huge trash bags initially so I could get some relief right away.

Then I had to let each half of my topper air out for six months each in my garage before I could bring them into the house.

RJay

18. YvonneM

YvonneM New Member

Hubby and I have a king foam topper purchased at cosco.com awesome. 2 1/2 inch no expensive.... also topper foam pillows... helps with the pain. not hott to sleep om either...
  19. puppyfreak

puppyfreak New Member

I'm looking at buying a memory foam mattress so I've been reading all your advice here and doing some research online. There's a place in Colorado called Healthy Foundations and they have some helpful info about toppers and mattresses.
    They say it's important to get a 'Made in USA" topper or mattress because the foam is less likely to have a bunch of chemicals.
    The thickness and density are important but also whether you sleep on your side or back and whether you move around a lot.
    Some US brands are Healthy Foundations, Body Zone, Novaform from Sleep Innovations [at Costco], and Memory Foam Outlet [they make their own foam].
    Sorry I'm sounding like an 'Infomercial' - it's just the ONE thing I'm going to spend a big chunk of my SSDI backpay on so I really want to get the right mattress!
    And you can get a whole mattress - the Novaform is a 12" mattress with 3" of premium memory foam and 9" of high density foam. It's $649 for a queen size. A 10" mattress at Body Zone [2.5"/7.5"]is $497 [Free S&H and 20-year warranty!]
    Lots of choices!

Char
  20. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

I have a 2" topper from Sleep Innovations that I got at Linens and Things. I love it. I think more might help my hurting hip problem.

I found a 1.5 inch at WalMart.com for 64.50 plus shipping for the queen and a 3" for about $20 more. I think I am going with the 1.5 because my sheets are stretching to get over the corners now.

As I said earlier, I don't care if the sides are covered or not, but I don't want the sheet popping off because that is annoying.

I like that my Sleep Innovations came with a zip on cover too.

Sonya