Memory getting worse, a phase?!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Chilene, Sep 13, 2005.

1. Chilene

Chilene New Member

Having had this DD for over 10 years, i am quite familiar with speech problems (slurring, forgetting words...)and spaciness here and there...but over the last month, i have been continually unable to remember things (mostly short-term, but some long).

It is freaking me out! It truly feels like senility, and i'm 41. It could also be that my current boyfriend speaks faster than some...or maybe the topics are more detail-oriented?...

but even tonight...i was watching an award show, and someone asked me who was presenting...and i had no idea...no image came to mind...until about 20 minutes after they had asked me...and i had a photographic memory before...

i ususally just chalk it up to extreme fibrog due to fatigue...but the fatigue is not that bad...

this sounds crazy, but i have been taking a small amount of ibuprofin every day lately, which actually does make me tired (regardless that doctors tell me that it will not)...could that be affecting my memory some?

i just hope this is a phase!!!

any thoughts?

fibro hugs;)...

Chilene
    [This Message was Edited on 09/13/2005]
  2. jaltair

jaltair New Member

I have not heard that ibuprofen causes memory loss; however, anything may be possible. If you are taking other medications, there could be interactions going on. Check with your pharmacist on the meds you are on and possible interactions with ibuprofen.

My memory problems are similar to what you have voiced. Sometimes, I think the problems are caused by the fatigue I have and / or the pain medication that I'm on.

I wouldn't worry about senility. Next time you see your doctor, bring the topic up. I think that what you are experiencing is common with FMS / CFS.

By the way, I enjoyed reading your profile and love your picture! You are very pretty . . Take care and check back in.

Warm wishes, Jeannette
  3. CarolK

CarolK New Member

Hi Chilene.... YES!!! I started having memory problems and they really scared me. I know that "fibro-fog" is part of this DD. And I did experience fibro fog often... but one day really, really scared me. I went to the movies with my daughter one afternoon... a few days later I could not remember ANY of the movie..or who starred in it!!

I searched and searched my memory and couldn't recall what movie we had seen!! When my daughter wanted to talk about the movie, I am embarrised to say, I pretended to remember the parts she was talking about. Finally I went on-line to check out a movie review to remind myself what the movie was about.

HERE IS THE KICKER THOUGH... ONCE I GOT MYSELF OFF THE ANTI-DEPRESSENT--SSRI THAT I WAS TAKING, MY MEMORY GREATLY IMPROVED!! I AM CONVINCED THAT TAKING THE PAXIL I WAS ON WAS GREATLY AFFECTING MY MEMORY!!!!! MY MEMORY HAS GREATLY IMPROVED SINCE GOING OFF PAXIL!!

I HAVE DECIDED TO NEVER GO ON ANY ANTI-DEPRESSENTS AGAIN IF I CAN POSSIBLY HELP IT! I WAS HAVING SO MANY MEMORY LAPSES WHILE ON THE SSRI'S... BUT DOING SOOOOOOOO MUCH BETTER NOW!!

AND NOW I REMEMBER ALL THE MOVIES I SEE!! IF YOU ARE CURRENTLY TAKING ANY ANTI-DEPRESSENTS I WOULD CHECK WITH YOUR DOCTOR TO SEE IF THEY ARE KNOWN TO AFFECT YOUR MEMORY!

BLESSING TO YOU.... CAROL
    [This Message was Edited on 09/14/2005]
  4. Smiffy

Smiffy Member

Hi - you could try Ginko Biloba (it takes a few weeks to work, if it's going to).
  5. CarolK

CarolK New Member

bumping for Chilene
  6. Chilene

Chilene New Member

Nice to "meet" you Jeannette;)...

Believe it or not, i do not take ANY other meds, other than ibuprofin and once in a great while, Vicodan (when migraines start from my neck herniation/spinal stenosis...).

I am allergic to everything under the sun (every med, herb...), and am even allergic (to a lesser level) to ibuprofin...but take that when my pain is bad...

My one vice is coffee, which actually does help the clarity (not sure about memory) just a bit.

Thanks for your thoughts. And your compliment!;)...And Jeannette: I love YOUR photo!!! Adorable, beautiful photo!

Hugs to you!

Chilene/aka Helene
  7. Chilene

Chilene New Member

Nice to meet you Carol;)!...

Why all you lovely people make me feel sooo much better. And even though i had a heck of a time with my nouns this a.m., I was better than have been by evening...

Thanks for sharing your story!

Blessings to you, too.

Hugs!

Chilene/Helene
  8. Chilene

Chilene New Member

Nice to meet you Smiffy! Some herbs I do ok with in small amounts...and don't think i have tried Ginko Biloba yet...

Really appreciate that idea;)!

Hugs to you, Smiffy.

Chilene/Helene
  9. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

them. I'm shocked at the amount of people on this board whose docs put them on a.d.'s and it seems not all that many have real clinical depression. While some say it helps somewhat w/ pain, and sometimes sleep, too many say it doesn't seem to do anything but give them yet another drug to take. Not to mention another drug to make themselves afford.

I take Wellbutrin, and while I do get one severe episode of depression a year, from winter SAD, I think it's usefulness has mostly run out. I suspect it's doing some wiggy things to my concentration and causing anxiety I didn't have before. I did a reduction and the anxiety reduced alot. Fall's coming though, and this would be a bad time to go off. SAD is perculating soon, and w/ a move this weekend I can't afford to bring on the profound fatigue that weening, even very slowly off brings.

jeanne