Memory Loss

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Patti2, Jun 17, 2003.

1. Patti2

Patti2 New Member

I am new here. So I guess I will just vent a little and see how other people handle this. I guess I vented alot
    I was dianosed with FM & depression a little over 2 years ago. I thought after the flare up I would be fine. That is what I get for thinking. After 1 year of fighting this monster my husband left because he couldn't stand me being sick any more. People look at you and you aren't black and blue, or have a cast on and do not think that this is a "real" dease. I have developed memory loss durning flare ups. I mean bad. I have been at my job for 5 years and come into work and am blank. I am afraid to drive, so I have to take off work once again. Being alone that hurts finacilly, that causes stress and there goes the circle. Does anyone have consintration problems?
  2. julianaj21

julianaj21 New Member

What you experience is absolutely real. This month alone I sent the utility bill without the check, paid the daycare AND my credit card twice, and hid my husband's father's day present in HIS sock drawer!! I have often been told about conversations that I have had, but only have a mere recollection of. Depression, pain and fatigue can make retaining information difficult for anyone, but make these conditions chronic and it should be no surprise that concentration and memory are a big concern for those of with FM and/or CFIDS. THis website should have several helpful articles about this subject to offer reassurance as well as tips on keeping the details of life straight. I personally keep a notebook with me at all times to jot things down and have a desk size calendar on my fridge to write down dates. I have started to have the bank pay the ongoing bills and leave myself notes and e-mails. Do whatever works even if it seems silly! I don't check in here often enough, but I hope that you check in frequently to get the wonderful kind of support that is offered. We are all in the same boat. Good luck to you:)

Jules
  3. beth~

beth~ New Member

I WAS AN INSURANCE AGENT WITH MY OWN AGENCY, NEVER, EVER WROTE DOWN AN APPOINTMENT & NEVER MISSED ONE. WAS VERY ORGANIZED, TYPE A PERSONALITY BUT WITH FIBRO & CHRONIC FATIGUE, I CAN HARDLY FUNCTION AND THE CONCERTRATION IS GONE!!!!! CAN'T GET THRO A SIMPLE TASK IF I GET INTERRUPTED. SURELY THERE IS SOMETHING OUT THERE TO CLEAR UP THIS!!!! ANYONE EVER HEAR OF "PROVIGIL" FOR THE TIREDNESS? A FRIEND MENTIONED IT BUT I CAN'T FIND OUT ANYTHING EXCEPT THAT IT'S FOR NARCOLEPSY. I DON'T FALL ASLEEP ON THE SPOT - JUST SOOOO TIRED & IN SUCH A FOG!!!! HELP!!!!
  4. jka

jka New Member

sometimes i go into a grocery store WITH A LIST and come home with missing items.at work one of the teachers will ask me to do something and two minutes later i'm asking what it was i was suppose to do!one day i couldn't even put the kids names in alphabetic(sp) order.i almost had a break down on that one.one of the other aids helped me.it's awful forgetting things.sometimes i think thats the worse part of this illness.

kathy c
  5. pammy52

pammy52 New Member

Welcome aboard!!
    You are definitely not alone with your memory problems.
    For me this is one of the most exasperating facets of FMS.
    My short term memory is the pits. At home and with my family
    I can kindof fumble along because they all realize its just
    part of the disease.
    At work its exhausting to keep track of what I've done.
    It takes so much out of me some days at work to stay focused
    on each task so I dont forget anything. I make myself notes
    sometimes but then forget to read them. Some of my coworkers
    are aware I have FMS but do not really understand the big
    picture...such as the fibrofog. Even my closest friend at work does not really 'get it' and just counters with how
    tired she gets too and that she is more forgetful now. We both hit the 5-0 mark last year so that is what she blames it on. You really feel alone when you are struggling with
    this disease and there is no one in your daily life who
    is walking the same path you are.
    Keep reaching out to others on this board. It is the one
    place where you can vent and be heard and understood.
    Pam
  6. shazz

shazz New Member

Can't remember $hit.
    It is a very big part of fibro, and the less sleep you get the worse it is.
    I have been a travel agent for 6 years and I had to do a ticket exchange today, something I have done thousands of times, I went blank, had to ask my coworker for the format.
    It's scary, and it happens all the time, I haven't found anything that helps either. Just don't know what to tell you except that you aren't alone.
    Sometimes you just gotta laugh about it. I took a bowl out of the dishwasher a couple weeks ago, washed it, dried it with a paper towel, then tossed the bowl in the garbage and went to the fridge, paper towel in hand to put something in it.
    Everyone here suffers from it some and from time to time you will even see a post of funny stories related to it.
  7. nancyw

nancyw New Member

Welcome to the land of fibro fog! We have to laugh about this or else we end up crying. No, you're not crazy; it's a very real thing. I spend a lot of time with my adult daughter and we can have the same conversation 5-6 times a day. She just looks at me now and I'll laugh and know I forgot again. Short term memory is a real problem. Can't think of the names of things when speaking and I look like I'm trying to play charades or something. My 2-year-old granddaughter's name is Skyler and I called her Scarlett the other day. SHE even looked at me weird. My 6-year-old grandson, just giggles and says "Oh, Nana, you're so silly!" Been a very organized person all my life and this drives me crazy; just feels like I'm not quite there. Oh well, like I said, we have to laugh about it or we'll cry. Glad you found this site - it really helps.