meningitis vaccine

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Tiki, Oct 20, 2002.

1. Tiki

Tiki New Member

Hi, I'm new here - from Ireland. My 16 year old daughter has had ME/CFS for 2 years following chicken-pox and encephalitis. Your message board has been a valuable source of information for me as I receive very little support from the medical profession here in Ireland. They seem to know NOTHING about this condition, and it's SO frustrating!
    What I was wondering; do you think it's safe for my daughter to get her meningitis vaccine? There have been several cases of this in this part of the world, and quite a few deaths from it around here.
  2. Tiki

Tiki New Member

Hi, I'm new here - from Ireland. My 16 year old daughter has had ME/CFS for 2 years following chicken-pox and encephalitis. Your message board has been a valuable source of information for me as I receive very little support from the medical profession here in Ireland. They seem to know NOTHING about this condition, and it's SO frustrating!
    What I was wondering; do you think it's safe for my daughter to get her meningitis vaccine? There have been several cases of this in this part of the world, and quite a few deaths from it around here.
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Isn't there some kind of doc you could discuss this with?

I had viral meningitis in my 20's and it was the most horrible headache I have ever had. My neck and shoulder on that side have been painful ever since. They could do nothing for me like they can for the bacterial type. Antibiotics won't help the viral type.

The problem with young people is that it is so easy for meningitis to be spread from one to another. If diagnosis and antibiotic therapy is not started immediately, loss of limbs is a very real possibility. Any sick child who has a rash should always been seen in the doc's office or ER immediately. It could save his or her life or limb(s).

No one but you can make this decision. I just hope this info helps you in your decision.

Love, Mikie
  4. Tiki

Tiki New Member

Thank you for that, Mikie. My son also had viral meningitis last April but has now fully recovered. I'm in the process of searching here for a doctor who knows something about CFS and will ask him.