Meniscus surgery

Discussion in 'General Health & Wellness' started by jakee, Feb 7, 2004.

1. jakee

jakee New Member

I would like to hear from anyone who had this surgery and was it successful? Does the cartilage rebuild itself???
  2. LKARE

LKARE New Member

itself-I had this in August 2002 - didn't have a very successful recovery because mine was so bad to begin with I guess. Went a year trying to deal with it, then finally had a unispacer implanted where the cartilage had been removed in Sep 2003. But, I've known of others that had a better recovery than I did.
  3. NEspina

NEspina New Member

I fell Aug. 2003 and knee pain got worse every week. I had a torn meniscus and had it cut off and alot of arthritis removed on Nov. 20, 2003. I have been going to p/t 2x week and feel in another month it will feel normal again. The first 8 weeks were painful and used cane, now just a little limp.
  4. NEspina

NEspina New Member

I fell Aug. 2003 and knee pain got worse every week. I had a torn meniscus and had it cut off and alot of arthritis removed on Nov. 20, 2003. I have been going to p/t 2x week and feel in another month it will feel normal again. The first 8 weeks were painful and used cane, now just a little limp. I have been told to take supplement osteo/bioflex to help rebuild cartilage! Ask doctor, because I think it does in time.
  5. JLH

JLH New Member

in August 2000. It wasn't a bad surgery. Pretty sore for the first week. Used a walker the first week because I can't walk on crutches, then the second week I progressed to using 2 canes! Walking with 2 canes was a lot easier than crutches for me. To show you that it wasn't that bad, I only took the pain pills the surgeon gave me for the first 3 days.

He also scraped out a lot of arthritis. Didn't like the physical therapy because it aggrivated my fibromyalgia and lupus pain, so I ended up doing leg exercises that the doc showed my lying on my bed, different leg lifts, etc.

My only problem that is that I am pretty overweight and I think the same problem is occurring in that knee again, or the arthritis is just getting very bad again. I go to the doc next month and I'm going to ask for another CT scan on my knee to find out the problem. If the cartlidge is torn again, it's all my own fault. I have an addiction to food that I just can't get it under control!!