menopause an fibromyalgia

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Sherry, Feb 23, 2003.

1. Sherry

Sherry New Member

Is anyone going through menopause on top of fibromyalgia? I am heading toward menopause and have myself worked up because of all the symptoms you can get from menopause. I'm not looking forward to more symptoms on top of fibromyalgia.
  2. blondieangel

blondieangel New Member

I just turned 41, but my endocrinologist had me start taking Remifemin (black cohash for peri-menopause) at 39 - 40 for horrible PMS symptoms. Breast pain, emotional instability...etc. it has helped. My periods are still late. I have a tangerine sized fibroid and miscarried my first child at age 38,(3 mo. into pregnancy) 6 weeks after being rear-ended, which brought on Chronic Myofascial Pain and FM. I think our hormonal systems are so out of kilter (did you read the latest in research on Homepage)that every woman will have a different experiece and will probably need some sort of med/hormonal/natual therapy to help balance her system!
    let us know how you do!
    Love, Blondie
  3. QUE

QUE New Member

HI SHERRY, I AM 53 AND MY MENOPAUSE IS NEARLY AT AN END, I HAVE THOUGHT ABOUT HRT BUT DECIDED ALL THE SIDE EFFECTS DID NOT WARRANT ME TAKING IT AS IT OUT-WEIGHED THE MENOPAUSES PROBS, AND I BELIEVE MOST STRONGLY IT GAVE MY SISTER BREAST CANCER, IF YOU CAN HANG ON IN THERE AND EAT HEALTHY AND DRINK SENSIBLE SEE YOUR DR REGULAR LIKE I HAVE DONE, I HAVE LEARNT TO COPE WITH FIBRO AND THE MENOPAUSE.
    AS STATED EVERYONES DIFFERENT, SO IT IS TRIAL AND ERROR.
    PACE YOURSELF IN ALL THAT YOU DO, ONLY YOU KNOW HOW YOUR BODY FEELS, SO WHEN YOU HAVE YOUR FLARE-UPS, LEARN FROM THEM AND TAKE IT EASIER.AND WHEN YOU HAVE GOOD DAYS DON,T GO TO MAD SAVE SOME ENERGY IN RESERVE. GOOD LUCK TAKE CARE.
    QUE. XX
  4. Cactuslil

Cactuslil New Member

I saw your thoughtful question
    began to ponder then...
    at my lonely little pinkie
    shriveling at my bellies end!

My testicles are dropping
    My pinkie just stares at the floor;
    Now FMS has hit me!
    To bed now close the door!

I was wondering about male menopause and FMS; this hits us all it seems around the "meno" time. I thought I had bad menopause 3-years into this thing! I about pushed myself into total exhaustion and it took some mighty testing before I bought the notion of an "FMS"!

But ladies, don't be offended, please! Humor keeps me rolling.....but I can tell you after all those hot flashes with my doing yard work in a bikini and ice, freezing my children et al. NOW I can "feel" cold again and whew what a feeling! CactusLil'
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Most of us start perimenopause sometime in our 30's with slight little symptoms. We might miss these little omens if we are not paying attention. As we get older, the symptoms can worsen or stay the same. Sometimes, we get new ones. The worst problem I had was night sweats which kept me from sleeping. Hormone replacement took care of that. I am totally in menopause now at 58 and am experimenting with stopping my HRT. I used to get heart palpitations when I tried to go off them, but since taking Synthroid, I have not had this side effect when stopping the HRT.

Sweetie, as my Mother used to say, "Don't go borrowin' trouble." You may sail through menopause without much change and even if you do have some extra symptoms, there are things you can do for them.

Love, Mikie
  6. DebP

DebP New Member

Hi
    I have also recently started to show early menopausal symptoms at 33 yrs old. My doc put me back on the pill to try to get my periods right again...but he said he would only do this til Im 35. ?????Whats the point?? Wouldnt it just be better to take a hormonal supplement everyday instead???

DebP
  7. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

Yes, I have FM and just started the hot flashes, outbursts, etc... I guess I felt this coming over 10 years ago, but just thought I was a rag all the time. It's not fun, but I figure I have it easy compared to the gals here with cancer, diabetes, or those poor women over in the middle east that can't even see a doctor. I'll accept my problems with a smile and a grain of salt and keep plugging along. I really do have a good life, and this FM and Peri-stuff tends to give one strength and character.

Marilyn :)