Menopause Over Off AD's....Feeling just Great. You?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by fivesue, Nov 29, 2006.

1. fivesue

fivesue New Member

After experiencing the terrors of the damned withdrawing from Effexor and then Cymbalta, I have been on a small dose of Prozac for about a month and a half.

Yesterday I didn't take one at all...and I feel just fine. Feel just fine. Isn't that amazing? After 9 years of AD's, I'm free of them.

My clinical depression came on with menopause, and now that it's over, I'm OK without. NO more headaches and all the other symptoms that go along with a horrible menopause experience.

Done. No more nasty side effects...most notably, no more constipation. Now that's worth tons to me.

So, although many cannot do this, I was able to get off with the help of my doctor, my own stubborn determination, and my real fear of Effexor and Cymbabalta...not the drugs, but the withdrawal process.

It's over. Down to an beta blocker, thyroid med, and some pain med. That's it. Pretty awesome. At the beginning of my 50's, I was taking 14 pills a day.

Those of you with depression that started with menopause, check out this options with doctor...

My best.
    Sue
  2. Vitter

Vitter New Member

I don't know if I am having a horrible menopause experience, but I am having something horrible. Would you mind telling me some of your worst symptoms. I am perimenapausal and also having thyroid problems. My doctor has not tested me for anything other than thyroid, but with the way I feel I am fearful it is something worse.

That is great you have been able to come off most of your meds. I took an antidepressant for a couple of years, but now am off.

Vicki
  3. fivesue

fivesue New Member

I was actually crazy...my head was fuzzy, panic attacks, migraine headaches, insomnia, hot flashes even with estrogen, weight loss and then gain, nervous breakdown and inability to work anymore...

AAGH! It was an absolutely terrible time of life. I am so much better now. I think 60 years ago they would have put me in a mental institution....Thank God for modern medicine.

I felt awful always...physically, mentally, emotionally...Estrogen and antidepressants and other such meds helped me get through that time, but now it's over and I don't need them. I'm so happy to be at this point. My 50's were hell but looks like things are looking up for my 60's starting next year.

I do hope that your symptoms will be less violent.

Best wishes,
    Sue
  4. Vitter

Vitter New Member

So glad you are better! It gives me hope!

I just turned 50 this year and I am miserable, my health is not good. I am afraid of everything, every little symptom I panic. I used to have panic attacks, but it seems those have calmed down, thank goodness.

I was diagnosed with EBV about 16 years ago, sometimes I think I am having a relapse. My doctor just ignores me when I mention it.

My doctor put me on a blood pressure pill even though I don't have high blood pressure. He said it would calm me down. I also take thyroid and on a hormone replacement patch.

So far I am not sure about any of the meds. Maybe working a little. I just started recently trying all this.

God Bless

Thanks,

Vicki

5. fivesue

fivesue New Member

I don't remember what EBV stands for, but your symptoms sound so familiar. You might need to adjust your estrogen or thyroid medication. I know that I was up to 2 mgs. a day of estrogen during the worst of my time...awful, awful time. I wasn't needing thyroid meds then, but they need to be evaluated and be sure you are in sync.

Just make sure you keep your doctor informed and that your doc is experienced in menopausal treatment. My first doc wasn't, and he just kept prescribing weird meds which just didn't work and led to my breakdown....! Not a happy time.

But, it does pass...but very slowly, I'm afraid. I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers...

(-:
    Sue
  6. fivesue

fivesue New Member

Thank you for the kind words. You have had your share of health issues and I do hope things are going well for you. It seems that I have gotten out of the loop on this board as have been busy and other issues.

Just nice to hear from you...a good, familiar name.

(-:
    Sue
  7. Vitter

Vitter New Member

EBV is Epstein Barr Virus, at that time I also thought it was Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. I have been out of touch with the research lately because I was symptom free for so long.

Thank you so much for your time.

Vicki

[This Message was Edited on 11/29/2006]
  8. carebelle

carebelle New Member

I've been going threw this for 7 years .The Doc says it can last for 10.I also had a mental breakdown.Things are getting better mentally I'm back to myself but it was very hard work. I do not take anything for it .I do for depression but no HR .
    I wish you well .Sorry this has been bad on you but its nice knowing others understand what we go threw and we are not alone.
  9. fivesue

fivesue New Member

Sounds like you may be coming to the end of your trial, also. I do hope so.

My mother and other female forerunners had absolutely NO PROBLEM with menopause...and my only sister is having no trouble at all, either. I surely wasn't thinking I would have any trouble at all! WRONG! Somehow, I got the a real horror while everyone else just went on with their lives. I, of course, let them know that I went through this so they didn't/won't have to...(-:

Anyway, it is comforting to know others deal with the same issues, but I'm sorry it has been so hard for you. Please take care...and know it does finally one day come to an end.

Hugs,
    Sue
  10. fivesue

fivesue New Member

Yes, I had read that you had moved to Germany, but I didn't really know what you were doing there...my, college is a big endeavor. I'm glad to hear you are doing well. I remember those college years. I was a returning student...started back when I was in my 30's....just like my mother, my father, my sister, and now my youngest son. We call ourselves the late bloomers. (-:

Best wishes for you and your studies...and hope your health cooperates with you. I check in now and then...at least once a day, but life seems to be pulling me in other directions now.

But, I wouldn't give this forum up for anything. What a wonderful group of people who acutally understand what life is like with chronic pain, etc.

So, anyway, take care, and we'll talk as we can.

(-:
    Sue