Menopause supposed to lessen FM symptoms?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Achy-shaky, Mar 21, 2003.

1. Achy-shaky

Achy-shaky New Member

I read somewhere that FM many times gets better with menopause. Well I'm still waiting!! I turned 55 today and have finally entered the big M according to my hormone blood test. However, my question is since they say you are not officially menopausal until you don't have a period for a year, is that when the symptoms are supposed to get better? Ive been without period for about 6 mos. now but I've had worse FM symptoms than ever before...been in a flare for months. Does anyone have experience with their FM symptoms getting better when the year is up? BTW, I refuse to take hormones because I'm high risk for cancer and I don't get hot flashes so I don't really think they'd help anyway. I really need some good news on this depressing "official senior citizen" birhday so if anyone has ideas on this I'd appreciate it.

Thanks & Peace to you all!
    Shaky
  2. Dayle

Dayle New Member

but thank the dear Lord I started Guai. 3 months ago & I'm improving. I too shake & found out that I need to stay on a low carb diet. I didn't think I could but with taking the guai I get Sooo Sick if I don't eat right that I find it quite easy. Hope this helps you.
    LOL Day
  3. Shirl

Shirl New Member

To have to tell you that is a myth! Mine got worst, the pain, the sweats, the mood swings etc.

I did not take HRT either, lost most of my family to cancer.
    I just sweated it out so to speak!

Shalom, Shirl
  4. srollins

srollins New Member

Don't let anyone kid you. It's like Shirl said,THAT IS A GREAT BIG MYTH!!!!!
    But HAPPY BIRTHDAY ANYWAY.I hope you have a good year!
    Shirley[This Message was Edited on 03/22/2003]
  5. Dara

Dara New Member

I had a hysterectomy in 1993 and if anything the FM has gotten worse and seems to get worse as every day goes by. My doctor told me that FM usually goes away with age, well he's retired now so I can't let him know that he was so wrong. I wish I could tell you that it is true that it gets better because that would give some of us something to look forward to, but no can do.

Dara
  6. pam_d

pam_d New Member

Happy Birthday!!! I'm peri-menopausal still, so I don't have any news on that, but I'm depressed to hear NO one feels that menopause helps us any!

Hope you have a great birthday anyway, enjoy it!

Hugs,
    Pam
  7. coyote

coyote New Member

I hate to have to agree with the other posts on this, but menopause made my symptoms worse.
    I hope you don't get discouraged. Hang in there. Even if it happens to you, you are not alone.