Menopause Symptoms Out Of Control!Help?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by retrogirl, Feb 24, 2006.

1. retrogirl

retrogirl New Member

Sorry this is so long-just frustrated.Lately my hotflashes,chills,hormone headaches,severe exhaustion etc. are making a comeback.
    My symptoms come and go.Just when i think I am making progress getting them under control-wham-back with a vengence!First I tried Maca and it worked wonderfully and gave me energy to boot.That stopped working after a while and I was advised to add progesterone cream(which I had tried before without much success) and the two worked together for a while.I used both as suggested and would stop the maca for 4 days every 6 or 8 weeks.Used the progesterone cream for 21 days on and 7 off.I did notice that after applying the cream I would usually get a hot flash about 1/2 hour later.Most people I spoke to lost weight using the cream or the maca.Not me.Sometimes I think my body has the opposite effect.I think I am having a problem with flaxseeds and the flax oil as well.My flashes seem to intensify after taking either.I am back to just trying the maca alone.Anyone else have difficulty getting their symptoms under control?
  2. dreamharp

dreamharp New Member

How much of the soy supplement were you taking? How many
    milligrams were you taking daily to ward off symptoms?

Thanks

Dreamharp

3. dreamharp

dreamharp New Member

Thanks so much for your quick response. I really appreciate
    it. Good health to you!

Dreamharp
  4. spiritsky

spiritsky Member

I'm not a woman but I've been through this with my wife for the last 10 years. If you're having hot flashes, you don't have enough estrogen, it's pretty straight forward...Adding the progesterone is a good thing but it also increases the need for more estrogen.

The herbal remedies for increasing estrogen work for a while but as you approach your menopausal years (45 and over), you really need to start looking at getting bio-identical estrogen replacement along with a proper dose of progesterone (the 2% progesterone cream isn't going to be enough in your later years). My wife is taking 200mg progesterone orally at bedtime with 1.25mg estrogen cream (80% estradiol, 20% estrone). She has no hot flashes anymore, doesn't cry and just has more energy. (Estrogen for women is a lot like testosterone for men in terms of increasing your energy levels.)

Hope this helps.
    Good luck...
  5. MamaR

MamaR New Member

I wanted to let you know that I was going through the same thing recently.

I had been on estrogen for years....but after my mom had breast cancer....the doc took me off.

I started on over the counter supplement. It is extra strength estroven. You can get it at any pharmacy. It has been a life saver for me. I know that it works...because I ran out for 2-3 weeks and the hot flashes were just HORRIBLE.

I went back on it... and within two days they started tapering off....now I don't get them at all!

Hope this helps!

mari
  6. retrogirl

retrogirl New Member

Is the estroven the one from soy?because I am allergic to soy.I have tried black cohosh with no relief.
  7. retrogirl

retrogirl New Member

Is the estroven the one from soy?because I am allergic to soy.I have tried black cohosh with no relief.
  8. crdmkr2004

crdmkr2004 New Member

Hi there
    I am only 43 but due to multiple traumas in my life consistently over the past 10 years, I was put into menopause early. My husband swears by Black Cohosh, he says he would buy it by the truckload. It really worked for me. You can buy it at Costco cheap or pretty much anywhere else nowadays. I am in a Depression Group and a man in our group mentioned about his wife being totally off the wall, both my counsellors at the same time said "B6". I myself haven't tried it but apparently one of these woman's husband said he would buy it by the caseload, so I think it may be worth giving it a try too. Good luck HTH.
    :)
    Sandy