Menopause Transition Harder for Women with FM/CFS

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by JLH, Sep 12, 2006.

1. JLH

JLH New Member

A study analyzed the “menopausal transition” symptoms of 216 midlife women ages 35 to 55 diagnosed with Fibromyalgia and/or Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, and symptomatic in the prior six months - by comparison with a matched community-based population of midlife women without major illness. No study participants had a hysterectomy.

The study, conducted by researchers at the University of Illinois at Chicago College of Nursing, involved questionnaire-based interviews asking about 61 possible symptoms and assessing symptom severity for each. Participants were grouped by menopausal status.

Key findings were that:

- The symptoms for the FM/CFS patients tended to cluster around the same five factors as for the healthy comparison population: aroused/anxious mood, depressed mood/withdrawal, musculoskeletal discomfort, gastrointestinal problems, and vasomotor (“hot flashes”).

- However, a “much higher number” of the FM/CFS patients experienced symptoms.

- And the severity scores of the FM/CFS women were higher in three symptom areas: musculoskeletal aches and pains, gastrointestinal problems, and vasomotor symptoms.

- But the severity of mood-related symptoms (anxiety and depression) was comparable for the two groups.

The study report, “Menopausal Transition Symptoms in Midlife Women Living with Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue,” by Joellen Wilbur, et al., was published in the August 2006 issue of Health Care for Women International.

Source:
    ImmuneSupport.com

2. Redwillow

Redwillow New Member

Oh goodie, NOT! another thing to look forward to!

Now jlh don't think I am trying to kill the messanger here! LOL I am 47 though so I know this is just over the hill for me.

It is good that these studies make this information available to the medical community (if they read it that is).

thanks for the info

hugs Marion (Redwillow)
  3. jeduanboneis

jeduanboneis New Member

Thanks for the info!!!

I always had concern around this topic.

Have been wondering !NOW! what is wrong!!!!!

I totally agree that my condition has gotten worse in the past few years. But how much of the sweats are from meno and how much from CFS??? I guess that I need to be tested. I have taked 20mgs. of compounded estrogen along with some testosterone and progesterone and was still sweating through. So I stopped the compounding as it was $85 a month and am still dripping so ......

It is true!!! CFS/FM does affect all of our systems.

Jeanne
  4. MamaDove

MamaDove New Member

More crap to deal with...

WOOHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(&*%^#%%$&(*)()(**(&$%$#@!#&^*&(*)(*()*&*%^%$%$#@$#@#$!$#^%&^^*(&(&(*^*%^%$%$#$##@!$#^%%*&&(*)()_*)&*&^%$%$$#@$#@%$&(*))@^%@%@$^&(&)*)(^&@^%@#%$@&@(*@)*@)@&@^&^%@^$@$%@$@%I(*@(@&%^@^@&&*@(@&(!(&!$%@#$@$!T^&&*(!&(*!(*!^%*!%.........

That's me cursing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PS, my hubby is asking me what speed I am on, he thinks I am actually typing something a human can read....tehe...

I am laughing at myself...tehe

Peaceful days ahead~Alicia
  5. carebelle

carebelle New Member

at the same time. talk about a change of life
  6. rynkat

rynkat New Member

If I am going thru menopause now and feel this bad, maybe I will feel better once menopause is over????????????
  7. 1975jet

1975jet New Member

I crashed with it all about 1-1/2 years ago- DO not wish it on anyone- Yeah-like to no,too- When we are through will we start feeling like a million bucks???? I am for that...

Yeh- my doctor told me,"Unfortunately, everything hit you all at one time" Bless Her!!!
    Be Well -Janet(jet)
  8. JLH

JLH New Member

If you are going thru menopause now and feel really bad, maybe you will feel better once menopause is over????????????

Unfortunately not!! I've already gone through it, I think!!!, and I see no hope yet!! LOL
  9. Machair

Machair New Member

I'm 46 and my ME has been so much worse the last 2 years and I'm wondering if it is due to the approaching menopause.What symptoms are you all getting and what age did the symptoms really start?
    I seem to have worse IBS and palpitations than usual.
  10. JLH

JLH New Member

lindyl39,

I am getting close to 56. For me, I have NOT gotten any better, or had any more energy since going through menopause. But that's just me. So, sorry that there's nothing to look forward to!!

Hugs,
    Janet