Menstrual Cycle

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by teacher, Aug 27, 2002.

1. teacher

teacher New Member

I tried to research this topic in past messages, but I'm having trouble today and can't find what I'm looking for. Any help would be appreciated.

Has anyone noticed a connection between the start of your cycle and a flare up?

If so, what do you do?

teacher
  2. teacher

teacher New Member

I tried to research this topic in past messages, but I'm having trouble today and can't find what I'm looking for. Any help would be appreciated.

Has anyone noticed a connection between the start of your cycle and a flare up?

If so, what do you do?

teacher
  3. nova

nova New Member

I have found nothing that really helps. I would love to hear from others that have though. Rice bags are about as good as it gets for me.

Tara
  4. Shirl

Shirl New Member

I found this article on the 'Community' page, though it might help with your question.

When I was having periods, they were heavy and painful. I had a lot of pain all over my body, like the 'flu' feeling.

It seems the medical profession has not done a whole lot of study in this area yet. There are a few more articles on this, if you want to see them, just go to 'Community', and type in; 'Menstrual Cycle'.

Hope this helps.

Shalom, Shirl

Abstract: Sex hormonal factors and chronic widespread pain [fibromyalgia]: a population study among women
    ImmuneSupport.com

04-24-2002

Rheumatology (Oxford) 2002 Apr;41(4):454-7

Macfarlane TV, Blinkhorn A, Worthington HV, Davies RM, Macfarlane GJ.

University Dental Hospital of Manchester, Dental Health Unit, Unit of Chronic Disease Epidemiology and. Arthritis Research Campaign Epidemiology Unit, University of Manchester, UK.

PMID: 11961178

OBJECTIVE: The observation of higher rates of chronic widespread pain, the cardinal feature of fibromyalgia, in women has led to hypotheses about the role of sex hormonal factors in the aetiology of symptoms. There is little available evidence from epidemiological studies on their importance or role.

METHODS: A population postal survey was carried out involving 1178 female participants living in south-east Cheshire in the north-west of England.

RESULTS: Amongst pre- and peri-menopausal women, the risk of chronic widespread pain was unrelated either to the length of the menstrual cycle or the usual length of period reported by participants. Risk was similar in current users and non-users of the oral contraceptive pill, and amongst users there was no relationship with duration of use. However, the reporting of chronic widespread pain showed a relationship with total score on a premenstrual symptom questionnaire. However, this relationship was explained by pain symptoms. Amongst post-menopausal women, reporting chronic widespread pain was not related to age at menopause. An increased (but non-significant) risk of chronic widespread pain was associated with current hormone replacement therapy (HRT), which may be a consequence of HRT being prescribed for menopausal symptoms.

CONCLUSION: This study, conducted on a large unselected population, has not demonstrated an association between sex hormonal factors and chronic widespread pain.

5. BethM

BethM New Member

For about 10 days before my period is due, I have increasing FMS symptoms, and decreasing energy. VERY frustrating. I take low dose oral contraceptives because of polycystic ovary syndrome, and they do help, but I wish they helped more. Last March I decided to go off them, to give my body a rest, but couldn't tolerate the results, and was back on them by June. I find I take more pain meds and have decreasing stamina and general life function ability until the day after my period starts. My primary also has me on 10 mg of Prozac daily to help with the PMS, and it seems to help with the irritability and anxiety part of it.

Other than increasing my use of pain meds, sleeping more (if possible), trying to get a little exercise, and gritting my teeth, I haven't found a real solution to this problem. I do increase my calcium citrate and magnesium dosages, and make sure I take my multi vitamin and keep my diet clean despite the chocolate cravings. I try to schedule my life around it, which tells me that this is a true problem. My GYN gave me Ponstel, an older nonsteroidal antiinflammatory to try, but it gave me stomach pain like all of them do. His theory was to decrease the prostaglandin production premenstrually. Wish I could, can't take those meds, darn it. I am looking at menopause in a few years with mixed feelings!

I believe there is a direct correlation between menstrual hormones and FMS symptoms. Maybe we are just more sensitive to the effects? I don't know, just wish it were not so.

Peace,
    Beth.
  6. TracyV

TracyV New Member

I talked to my doctor the other day about this, he said several of his pations have the same problem. He said pain increases because of the fluctation of hormoenes in our systems. It makes me wish I would go into menopause.
    Hugs,
    Tracy
  7. roro

roro New Member

supplements my doctor has recommended. i still have flare-ups, but not as many. I had to go off the pill, because I started bleeding constantly (for about 4 months). My doctor put me on crampbark and Bupleurum Entangled Qi Formula, from health concerns. they are chines herbs, but i think you need to get them from a health professional. I took them for two weeks. In the first few days, i stopped bleeding, and my periods have been regular ever since. They have NEVER been regular in my life, I always had to be on the pill before to make them regular. They used to come every 2-6 weeks, I never knew when, and they would last longer and longer, until i would just start bleeding all the time and would have to go back on the pill. Now they come every 26 days. I now take a product called prosoothe by pure encapsulations which seems to help me a lot with PMS. I get less cramping. i also take yarrow to keep the bleeding down. I find that a low-carb diet has helped a lot with my symptoms too, it is proven to fight PCOS, which I dont have, but it helps with cramps too. i find if I eat sugar or starches i get worse cramps. Hope this helps.
  8. teacher

teacher New Member

I will go to the Community board and look around.

I do have heavy bleeding to the point that I have to miss at least one day of work every cycle. Sometimes two. Unfortunately, I can't adjust my work schedule. The school system frowns on teachers coming and going as they please!

I have tried oral contaceptives in the past, but they change me mentally into some horrible freaky monster. CanNOT deal with that at all. I'd rather be frustrated with reality.

I asked for a hystercetomy, but was told that I'm too young. I'm 36, and..................? I haven't quite figured out what their problem with that is! :)

Again, thank you all very much.

Anita aka teacher

P.S. I will also look into the herbal stuff. I just LOVE herbal. Man-made stuff makes me sicker than I already am![This Message was Edited on 08/27/2002]
  9. j9miller

j9miller New Member

I know for a fact that my cycle causes me severe ups and downs. I am now having problems with my cycle. I had a D&C on Aug 1 and I am still bleeding - BAD. I think there is a coneection to the FM somewhere.

Janine