Mental Fog

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by chelle74, Aug 8, 2003.

1. chelle74

chelle74 New Member

Hello! I'm fairly new to the site, and I just wanted to ask a couple of questions.

I'm 29, and I was diagnosed with FM on Monday. My main complaints were feeling like crap every morning, being stiff, muscle weakness, IBS, and about 20 other miscellaneous little problems. But the thing that bothers me more than the pain or fatigue is the BRAIN FARTS!!

I've always had above-average intelligence (I was a "gifted child"), but for the past several months I've had trouble finding simple words, trouble with math, anything requiring thinking.

It's so frustrating and embarrasing, especially for considering my family and friends always tease me about being smart. Does anyone have any suggestions for helping the mental fog? I'm trying to stimulate my brain more, by reading and doing word puzzles and such, but I'm not noticing much difference.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Michelle
  2. ksp56

ksp56 Member

Michelle, it is a part of the fibro! I thought I was going crazy before I was diagnosed! I was not remembering things, or stood in place with a stupid expression on my face because I could not remember what word I was searching for!

It's good to stimulate your brain like you are. Some days are better than others......

Sorry that you have been diagnosed, but glad you found you found us! So many caring people with so many answers and compassion!

Gentle Hugs,

Kim
  3. lindap

lindap New Member

Hi Michelle, I'm new to the site also and I know exactly what you mean. I was diagnosed a year and a half ago and the thing that finally made me determined to get a diagnosis was the brian fog. I really thought I was losing my mind (and still do occassionally). I have trouble recalling common words. I walk into a room at home and I can't remember why I went there. I don't have any advice other than to take some comfort in the fact that you aren't the only one that feels this way.
  4. nitengal42in

nitengal42in New Member

This is totally normal. I am 32 years old and have the memory of an old lady. I do most of my cooking for my family in the crockpot because I cannot remember to check things in the oven or on the stove. It just totally slips my mind and then its burnt. I was afraid I was going to burn down my house.

Let me tell you, I have gotten so good with the slow cooker, I can even bake bread and a cake in it, lol.

What you are going through is totally normal. Its frustrating as h*ll, but normal. I too have always had an above average intelligence. I know just how frustrating it is to not be able to think of even the simplest things, when they once came so easy to you.

Take care

Stacey
  5. chelle74

chelle74 New Member

Thank you so much for the comments... I really was thinking maybe I should see a shrink too! I hate that other people are dealing with it too, but it's nice to know that others know where I'm coming from!!
  6. Clevertoes

Clevertoes New Member

I am newly 50, and was diagnosed with FMS the day after I turned fifty. Had my first anxiety attack that week also.

I work in a very stressful job as a manager in a municipality. I had tremendous pain in my thumbs and up into my forearms and this is how I was finally diagnosed.

Between coping with the pain and not being able to concentrate, I worked myself up into a big anxiety attack. And that really upset me, because I am always so calm under pressure.

The numbers I can still work with, but it is more words, etc that I have trouble with. I am also finding myself kind of doing a little stutter when I finally find the word. I don't think it is noticable to anyone but me, but it really bothers me. Right now I am still functioning okay in my job. When I don't have the fibro-fog.....I catch up. And sometimes I have what I call fibro-bursts when I get a whole lot done and think very clearly.

In the back of my mind there is always this worry that this fms will get worse and I won't be able to do my job.;-( I guess if that happens, I will just have to face it.

Thanks for listening...

Clevertoes
  7. Notonline

Notonline New Member

...now it's more like "burnout"! LOL I find that I have a "selective" memory anymore...tomorrow I will forget the name of a person I've known for over 15 years...but remember how to put something back together I took apart 3 months ago. The next day of course I'll forget how to put it together...and remember the name I forgot the day before. Take it as it comes...somedays are just better than others I guess. I do alot of reading also...logic problems, etc. Not sure how much it's helping...but I'm afraid of getting worse, so I'm not giving up.

Take care
    Danny
  8. IgotYou

IgotYou New Member

We can watch the same movie over and over, and every time it's like the first time!