mental & health trauma & war - new study published

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ephemera, Feb 7, 2006.

1. ephemera

ephemera New Member

A study was published today on the "soldier's heart" or mental & health trauma of Civil War soliders that documents health problems similiar to post-traumatic stress disorder & Gulf War Syndrome or post-Vietnam syndrome.

Research was based on the health records of 15,027 Union soldiers at the National Archives. 38.8 percent of the soldiers had both physical & mental problems & those who were ages 9-17 were 93% more likely to have both problems.
    "The study found that soldiers in companies that had the largest percentage of troops killed in action were 51 percent more likely to have been diagnosed later with cardiac, GI and nervous diseases. The figure offers the best proxy for various 'traumatic stressors,' including witnessing death or dismemberment; the loss of comrades; handling the dead; expecting one's own imminent death, and killing others. The Civil War may have been particularly pychologically devating in this regard, since friends and family members often served in the same company, leaving survivors with few closse friends or male relatives with whom they could share their experience if losses were heavy..."

I read the news abstract through the Scripps Howard News Service but the study was published in the Archives of General Psychiatry. Fascinating research that extends the historical basis of the syndromes beyond the contemporary & recent war experiences into the 19th Century. Good documentation to refute the concept that "it's all in your head."

Also, fascinating to think that younger men (presumabley women, too) have more horrific problems... & the implication that has for today's younger fighters in places like Africa & other nations with populist armies of children fighting each other in such violent manners.

peace to all...
  2. neen85

neen85 New Member

From both historical and medical aspects! Glad you posted this! Daneen
  3. ephemera

ephemera New Member

Yes, I found it interesting & useful for all who face tragedies, especially the women & children all over the world who are at greatest risk of being victims & victimized by war & other tragedies.

I think we can go back & for lack of a better word "mine" historical data to document medical issues, both historical & current.

best wishes
  4. ephemera

ephemera New Member