Mental strain and CFS

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by GILL, Sep 11, 2002.

1. GILL

GILL New Member

I have CFS and so does myy 12 year son. He hasn't got it as badly as me.

In July he was going to school 3 times a week for 2 lessons. Over the summer he has improved a lot and he was hoping to return to school a lot more. However he has become tired again. He looks pale again and his glands are up. I think its the mental strain affecting the M.E. but my husband thinks its pyschological ( sorry cant spell it). I think this is very hurtful to M.E sufferers and worried that others are going to start saying its a school phobia.

Can anyone tell me, is it normal to become tired through mental strain as well as physical

Thanks

Gill
  2. GILL

GILL New Member

I have CFS and so does myy 12 year son. He hasn't got it as badly as me.

In July he was going to school 3 times a week for 2 lessons. Over the summer he has improved a lot and he was hoping to return to school a lot more. However he has become tired again. He looks pale again and his glands are up. I think its the mental strain affecting the M.E. but my husband thinks its pyschological ( sorry cant spell it). I think this is very hurtful to M.E sufferers and worried that others are going to start saying its a school phobia.

Can anyone tell me, is it normal to become tired through mental strain as well as physical

Thanks

Gill
  3. TeresaBnGA

TeresaBnGA New Member

Oh yes! I do! In my situation the mental tiredness is just as bad as the physical at times. There are times when I can't remember even the simplest things also. It is very frustrating! I can imagine it is very tough on your son! Bless his heart! I couldn't imagine having to go through school with this disease. Have you considered home schooling him?

Soft hugs!
    Teresa :)
  4. Achy-shaky

Achy-shaky New Member

I'm pretty sure it is common among other CFS and FM sufferers to say that mental stress can bring on fatigue as much as physical strain, if not more so. Just worrying about my son being out to sea during these troubled times is enough to put me into a flare...very weak and not able to concentrate on anything so I can imagine how hard it must be for a child to endure this DD! If he has been diagnosed with CFS looks like you have work cut out for you to educate the people around him - Best wishes to you!
  5. cofinny

cofinny New Member

Hi Gill,
    I know first hand what living with CFS is all about. I have been living with this over 5 years, an unable to work. I would like to give you some ideas for this that work for me. e.mail me at cofinny@cs.com...thanks
  6. ali-may

ali-may New Member

For me, mental strain is a big factor - much worse than physical strain. Concentrating for long periods, under stressful conditions, is not helpful to me.

Near the end of last year I needed to hand in a 10,000 word research project. Because I was so tired all year, I didn't make much progress and then had to write the whole thing in two weeks. I enjoyed writing it, but at the end of the two weeks my entire body collapsed and I was in bed for a week, sick as a dog. It's taken me until now to really start recovering from that.

So yes, mental strain will be a big factor with your son. Your husband needs to know this.

An article in Time magazine recently told about a young boy with CFS, whose doctor pronounced him a 'good actor'! Of course, the boy wasn't acting, he was really sick with fatigue.

Alison
  7. GILL

GILL New Member

Thanks for all your comments. It is intersting to know how much mental strain effects some of you. I will be emailing asap. thanks