Merck Site On Fibromyalgia

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by enjoysue, Feb 6, 2007.

1. enjoysue

enjoysue New Member

I just thought I'd share the last part of the info from the Merck site about fibromyalgia. Look for the comment about opiods and the very last sentence. Where oh where do they get their information from? Maybe I'm more sensitive because I'm in pain but the whole site there on fibro (this is just the last section that I am sharing) doesn't begin to describe MY fibromyalgia.

Diagnosis and Treatment

The diagnosis of fibromyalgia is based on the pattern and location of the pain as well as the presence of tender points. Doctors firmly press designated areas of the body to determine whether the person feels pain in one spot (a tender point) or whether the pain seems to travel (refer) to another area (a trigger point). Diagnosis requires tenderness at 11 or more of the 18 designated tender points.

Fibromyalgia: Finding the Tender Points
    Fibromyalgia: Finding the Tender Points

Tender points are areas of tenderness that develop in people with fibromyalgia. For a diagnosis of fibromyalgia, a person must feel pain in at least 11 of the 18 tender points.

Nondrug treatments are usually the most helpful. Reducing stress can alleviate some mild cases of fibromyalgia. Stretching and conditioning exercises of gradually increasing intensity, improvements in the quality of sleep, application of heat to the affected area, gentle massage, and keeping warm are usually beneficial.

AspirinSome Trade Names
    ECOTRIN
    ASPERGUM
    or other nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) are generally of limited benefit. Occasionally, local anesthetics (eg, lidocaineSome Trade Names
    XYLOCAINE
    , alone or with corticosteroids [eg, hydrocortisoneSome Trade Names
    See Cortisol
    ]) are injected directly into a particularly tender area or trigger point, but these injections should not be relied on for repetitive use. Doctors may prescribe low doses of tricyclic antidepressants (see Depression and Mania: Drugs Used to Treat DepressionTables) 1 or 2 hours before bedtime, which are prescribed to improve sleep rather than to relieve depression.

For people who have the temporomandibular type of myofascial pain syndrome, using a plastic mouth guard can keep the teeth from touching each other and thereby prevent them from clenching and grinding. A benzodiazepine or tricyclic antidepressant at bedtime is sometimes used to relieve symptoms until a mouth guard be obtained. Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) or acetaminophenSome Trade Names
    TYLENOL
    is useful. Because the condition tends to persist, opioids should not be used, except possibly for short times. The person should be taught to stop clenching the jaw and grinding the teeth. Foods that are hard to chew and chewing gum should be avoided. Physical therapy, biofeedback to encourage relaxation, and psychologic counseling help some people. Most people, even if untreated, stop having significant symptoms within 2 to 3 years.

Last full review/revision February 2003
  2. BabiCati

BabiCati New Member

I plan on writing to them tomorrow and referring them to the Mayo clinic site and others. How dare they lie like that?
  3. Iamnotmyillness

Iamnotmyillness New Member

I am not surprised...more of the same crap. My VCR is set up to tape lost but since its on hiatus I ended up with According to Jim. The epi was about how his idiotic wife thinks he has "angry male syndrome" or something like that (it was a name to indicate that it was like male PMS) When she told him she thought he had this disease he went into a riff on how stupid that was and went through a list of all the conditions that he thinks are silly. he kept saying things like your fat, no you have food retention sydrome and in the middle he said, are you lazy, nope you have Chronic Fatigue syndrome.

Having met Belushi in person and had the displeasure of participating in a group conversation with him for over an hour, I would expect nothing better from this jerk.

Sad to think that MERCK is on the same level IMHO as Belushi on this issue.
  4. enjoysue

enjoysue New Member

That my NOW therapist went to school with the Belushi brothers and one of her brothers was a friends of theirs. All I got out of her was that John was a pig. I think she just meant a slob.

They were all from Illinois so of course Jim is a Bears fan and everything Chicago. I was rooting for the other team for the Super Bowl though!

Thanks for replying BabiCati and iamnotmyillness. I just didn't know if I'm in my right mind these days or if things bother me more than normal due to high pain levels. Seems mine hasn't leveled off in their supposed 2-3 year time spam. Going on 22 years of pain now and I'm more than the stiffness that they talk about. I'd rather be in child birth!! LOL
  5. Iamnotmyillness

What a small world!! Too Funny

Maybe your therapist can call Belushi and educate him about his misplaced belief that CFS patients are just "lazy", although when I met him my impression was that he isnt very educated about anything, despite his willingness to vocalize an opinion on just about everything. Not a good combo if you ask me.
  6. Diva55

Diva55 New Member

I was appalled by that sentence on 2-3 year span and then it goes away!!

How dare they publish that. Makes us sound as if we're making it up for sympathy, if we have it longer than 2-3 years!

Maybe you ought to start a petition with a link to how you send a message?

Thanks for bringing this up even if it has made me mad!!

Best wishes
  7. Suzan

Suzan New Member

I think, "boy I wish the folks that wrote this HAD Fibromyalgia!"
    So much of what is written..is the same as something else that some one else has written about an illness that they have NO idea what causes it..or really what to do to help people that have it feel better!

I have FMS, and after 4 years I have decided that unless and until someone can say "eureka, I have found it" about why we get this illness. I will no longer be an experiment! I will eat well, try to get some exercise daily, depending on how I am feeling, and take medication-opiods are working for me these days-to feel at least a bit normal in my daily life!

One thing about having FMS, that consistantly has amazed me is how often it is said that we should get daily aerobic exercise, and not take most pain meds. And, after all these years, the best they can come up with is the tryciclics..Which I have read many times and heard from mulitple docs..can mess up stage 4 sleep! Of course there is a host of other things out there that a doctor may offer up as a possible help. But when you read posts from FMS'ers..it seems pretty rare that any of the meds offered does much good. Plus so many of the side effects are counter productive! at least that is how it seems to me.

Anyway..I guess this morning reading this just bugged me. I am tired of the medical community at large not being able to do anything very productive to help me! I actually feel like what "I" do helps me more than the many possible solutions that get thrown out there to "help" Fms'ers!

8. froggyfog

froggyfog New Member

I looked under the professional site and called Merck about the below sentence

"Patients tend to be stressed, tense, anxious, fatigued, striving, and sometimes depressed."

I informed them I was a RN and did not feel this sentence accurately described FM patients and that I was on a website board and a lot of FM patients were upset about their site(I figured they do not want the bad publiciity so that might help to get them looking at how FM is described). I informed them there was new research and their site made FM patients feel like it was an emotional problem not a true disease/syndrome. They took my name/address/phone number and made a note of compliant...we'll see if anything changes...

I had a half of my Provigil today so I think I'm feeling more like my old self LOL
  9. enjoysue

enjoysue New Member

I am extrememly impressed froggyfog you have a feistiness to you, don't you?! I think that is fantastic!!

Thank you so much for being such a great advocate for all of us!!

Can't say much more, I'm in too much of a flare. Hopefully it's the weather but I doubt it! I too wish all those who downplay this would get it too!! They think we are just a little stiff and after prolonged sitting makes us stiff. I have to switch from one side of the sofa to the other every 5 minutes and have to constantly keep moving my arms and stretch my back and in doing so it causes more pain but in the long run is for the best.

I'm not technically savvy but I wish there was a website that had audio of people with fibro being interviewed even from their own home. People need to hear the pain in our voice. The pain is just not a little "darn I hurt all over." It's an "I am screaming silently in pain!"
  10. Iamnotmyillness

Anyone know if they are changing this??