Mercury Bracelet

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by berrytired, Apr 7, 2006.

  1. berrytired

    berrytired New Member

    Has anyone looked into those Mercury Bracelets? I was just glancing at some at a health store...just curious.
  2. Cromwell

    Cromwell New Member

    When I was at school many years ago, the science teacher had us all plunge our hands into mercury(to see how dry it was) and also take balls of it and roll it around. A few of us even snitched bits to "play" with! Never knew is was poisonous till later in my life! We all got sick, but really apart from feeling terrible and off school for weeks, nothing else was done. We all got a sort of hepititis type thing.

    I always worry about this. I was tested for mercury, but wonder if it lurks.

    Anne C
  3. springrose22

    springrose22 New Member

    I haven't heard of them. Can you explain a bit more please. Cromwell, I can't believe that story about the mercury!!! Holy cow! I remember when I was young I didn't know it was toxic either. Wouldn't be a bit surprised if that has started some problems for you. I firmly believe that I have CFS partly because of the mercury fillings, as well as flu shots which we were virtually forced to have at work, which contain some mercury as a preservative. Still, I can't wait to get an answer about the mercury bracelets....Marie
  4. Shannonsparkles

    Shannonsparkles New Member

    In MY science class they let all of us play with lumps of LEAD. How stupid is that????? That's been a known poison down from Roman times, hasn't it? And this was only a few years ago. Hope nobody decided to pocket it and take it home.
  5. Cromwell

    Cromwell New Member

    On tv I saw this program where kids had stolen some mercury, and they sent in the hazard teams to clean up the whole neighborhood.

    Yeh, the stuff that science teacher had us do. She was a bit weird in any case-probably mad as a hatter from plunging her hands into mercury year after year. (LOL) Hatters got mercury poisoning as they used mercury to stiffness moleskin to make into top hats or something.


    As I recall, they just kept this big old bowl of the mercury just on a shelf in the science lab, maybe behind
    glass.


    Also, for smokers, I think the preservative they used to use in ciggies had mercury in it, saltpeter or something.

    Yeh, we all messed around with lead and iron filings at school to see how the reacted differently.


    The BBC ran a play about the women in New Jersey painting the dials on luminous clocks and watches, and licking the brushes to point them, and they got all sorts of jaw cancers as the stuff was radioactive, as it was in all those watches and alarm clocks on our wrists and by our beds.

    I can also recall shoew shops having xray machines IN THE STORE for kids feet sizes-you put your foot in and it made an xray so they could see your feet inside the show for fit!!! They were everywhere, all those rads on the kids, on the assistants, inside the stores.


    Love Anne C
  6. mme_curie68

    mme_curie68 New Member

    My first job out of college was working in an environmental health and safety office at a major Boston hospital.

    Routinely, some idiot doc would knock over a rolling blood pressure unit and the 2lbs of mercury it contained would be spilled all over the place. Then they would "play" with it while the mess spread exponentially and off-gassed mercury vapors.

    We would have to go in in the white suit getup with heavy-metal respirators and pour zinc powder down to amalgamate the mess and vacuum with a HEPA-filtered vacuum. Then we had to pull up the carpet for whatever it touched.

    Once we had an ER doc try to cover up the evidence and FLUSH it down a toilet. Dummy didn't realize that mercury, being very heavy, would sit at the lowest point and go nowhere - DUH. So much for a high-priced med. school education.

    Hugs,
    Madame Curie
  7. berrytired

    berrytired New Member

    ooops...ha! I meant Magnetic Bracelet!! good conversation though...I was thinking of the mercury being released from the body when I typed that....lol
  8. Jordane

    Jordane New Member

    Yes I tried them a few months back.Never helped me.But each person is different.What did'nt help me could work for you!!
    Jordane
  9. jake123

    jake123 New Member

    I got into some mercury when I was about nine years old and used it to shine up some dimes. No telling where those dimes went in the money chain. The thought of it makes me sick.
    I don't remember getting specifically sick from the mercury but I stayed sick with tonsilitus stuff the whole time we lived in Honolulu. It always meant a penicillin shot at the Base Hospital.