Mercury Chelation Dosing per Dr. Andrew Hall Cutler

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by AllWXRider, Jan 6, 2007.

1. AllWXRider

AllWXRider New Member

Dr. Cutler wrote the book: No Amalgams and is considered my many to be an expert on chelation. This is a synopsis of his protocol:

Dr. Andrew Hall Cutler’s Mercury Detox Program:
    •DMSA alone followed by DMSA + ALA is a reasonable option.
    •ALA is the only one of the common chelator agents which crosses the blood-brain-barrier, so you need to use ALA at some point in order to clear mercury from the brain.
    •ALA has specific risks because it crosses the blood-brain-barrier. It is riskier if used soon after mercury exposure (such as soon after amalgam replacement). This should be considered in deciding when to use ALA.
    •ALA tends to lessen copper excretion--- so people taking ALA may have their copper levels increase. This can be a problem for people who already have high copper (which is toxic). This should be considered in deciding when to use ALA.
    •DMSA is stressful to the liver. ALA is helpful to the liver.
    •ALA is sulfury. (This is "good" for some and "bad" for others. If you are a "high sulfur" person, you may need to limit the ALA dose amount and/or limit sulfur foods carefully while chelating with ALA.)
    Dose frequency:
    •DMSA: every 4 hours, including at night
    •ALA: every 3 hours, including at night. (You can stretch it to every 4 hours at night if it helps you get a little more sleep, but go back to every 3 hours during the day.)
    •DMSA + ALA (together): same as ALA, every 3 hours, including at night. (You can stretch it to every 4 hours at night if it helps you get a little more sleep, but go back to every 3 hours during the day.)
    •It is generally okay to take a dose SOONER, if this is more convenient. For instance, it is fine to take the next dose of ALA after 2.5 hours rather than 3. If you do this, be sure to adjust the time of the next following dose so that it is taken within 3 hours. (Don't accidentally leave it till 3.5 hours later because of the "early" dose). All dose guidelines are about the LONGEST you can go between doses. Shorter is okay.

Dosage:
    •DMSA (alone or in combination with ALA): 1/8 to 1/2 mg of DMSA per pound of body weight, per dose
    •ALA (alone or in combination with DMSA): 1/8 to 1/2 mg of ALA per pound of body weight, per dose
    Ratio of DMSA to ALA (if using both):
    •A 1:1 ratio seems to work fine. A ratio between 1:2 and 2:1 is best.

Length of cycles:
    •At least a few days on. Three days on or more is recommended. 2.6 days on is acceptable. (3 entire daytimes and the 2 nights in between = 2.6 days.) (Also, Friday after school until Monday morning = 2.6 days.) Less is getting "iffy".
    •At least as many days off as you had on
    •There is not an obvious one-size-fits-all answer. The following are all reasonable options: 3 days on, 4 days off. OR 3 days on 11 days off . Many other options are also reasonable.
    •Two weeks on at most.
  2. swedeboy

swedeboy Member

I have a question about mineral replacement during the off days. Other than mineral IV's, what do you do/take for mineral replacement on the days you don't take DMSA/ALA. ALA is alpha lipoic acid?

So if I wiegh 160 pounds, then I would use both 80mg of ALA and 80mg of DMSA?
  3. AllWXRider

AllWXRider New Member

DMSA also chelates copper, manganese, molybdenum and zinc, so these should be supplemented on the off days. I have a good vitamin mineral supplement, so I'll use that.

ALA is Alpha Lipoic Acid.

To watch for bad side effects, start with the 1/8mg/# or 20mg/dose. [This Message was Edited on 01/06/2007]
  4. deliarose

deliarose New Member

u can ask Andy questions directly if you join the yahoo adult metal group.

I think you have to be careful when chelating. Some folks have reported v. bad side effects, so u may want to get your info from the horse's mouth.. so to speak.

Delia
  5. swedeboy

swedeboy Member

I know we can't post websites, but how do I find the Yahoo metal group?
  6. AllWXRider

AllWXRider New Member

He has a website called NoAmalgams. There he has links to listusers who chelate.

He does answer posts but I was told to start off with what I just posted. Watch for side effects, headaches, kidney pain, flares.

I did ask Dr. Ralph Cinque about making a time-released version of DMSA to follow a release every 4 hours. So us CFS ppl can try to get a decent night's sleep.

My ALA is time released, over what time period, I don't know but it looks like others are getting the word about time releasing and consistant blood levels.
  7. swedeboy

swedeboy Member

For a week I have been taking chlorella 3grams, ALA 300mg, NAC 1100mg, and juicing cilantro. Then it dawned on me Oh My God what the heck am I doing, I have 4 amalgam fillings in my mouth. OOPS! and I was starting to get these intense heavy feeling headaches with lots of anxeity. I halted all the supplements until I get the fillings out. Im geussing that's what the headaches are from.

So I am gonna call the dentist first thing monday. I also have appointment monday with GP Doctor to get those tests done, the CFS panel from Immunosciences lab. I just got the kit on friday. Wish me luck that the Doc gives me the okay, and that I can find a lab that processes the blood correctly. I am totally anxious about all this. I am fearful that I'll have a bad CFS flare and a dentist appointment at the same time. I better rest rest rest.
  8. springrose22

springrose22 New Member

What does the term "a high sulfur person" mean? Marie
  9. swedeboy

swedeboy Member

This is just the first part of Dr. Culter's protocol, given to me from a Yahoo Metal Chelation Group email. What's interesting to me is how low the dosage of DMSA is. Only 12.5mg. Culter only suggests starting off with 12.5mg of ALA also.

I can post the rest of it if any one wants. But it's similar to what AllWXRIDER posted above. Anyone know where to buy 12.5 mg of DMSA. I found 25mg cps of it online, I suppose you just divide them.

General Suggestions for starting oral chelation using Culter's Protocol

"Start ROUND 1 of DMSA 12.5mg. Take 12.5mg or less every 4 hours [or
    more often] on the hour, including waking up at night!!!! If you miss a
    dose by an hour stop the round and wait at least as many days as you
    chelated before you start again."

"If there are any side effects monitor
    these and if too intolerable, stop. A round is 3 days ON and 3 days OFF
    initially (later you can increase the number of ON days)."

"A common
    chelating schedule for DMSA is 7am - 11am - 3pm - 7pm -11pm - 3am. You can
    also take longer breaks between rounds if necessary to recuperate."

"If no side effects or mild manageable side effects occur then wait
    three days or more before you start ROUND 2 DMSA at 12.5mg."

"If no side effects or mild manageable side effects occur then do
    another ROUND [3 days and 2 nights] of DMSA at 12.5mg. You can increase your
    round by a day or two if you are doing well. So on this round you could
    chelate for 4-5 days ON."

"At this point you can continue for many more rounds of DMSA alone
    before adding ALA. This will reduce your body burden before you start taking
    mercury out of the brain with ALA. This is often the best path to follow."

"If you choose to add ALA at this point then, Start ROUND 4 with 12.5mg
    DMSA and start ALA 12.5mg with each dose."

If anyone wants me to post the entire thing then let me know.

Thanks for getting this topic started "ALL WEATHER RIDER" :)

[This Message was Edited on 01/06/2007]
  10. swedeboy

swedeboy Member

Please fill me in on what you know about using cilantro when you have crowns. Do crowns have mercury in them? I thought only amalgam fillings have the mercury in them.

11. cobie

cobie New Member

Thanks Allxrider, Some crowns can have amalgam in them there is no set rule. My Dentist drilled a small hole in the top of the tooth to check if their was any amalgam in the tooth... Lucky for me their wasnt, so he didnt have to change that crown.
  12. swedeboy

swedeboy Member

How do you know if your crowns have mercury in them? I have 6 crowns. Is it that the crowns are made with mercury, or that there could be mercury in the tooth from a filling, and then a crown is placed on top of it? If the crowns themselves do not have mercury then I am pretty sure I am in the clear, because five of my crowns were down from teeth that had white fillings in them.

One of my crowns was done in a tooth that had an amalgam filling in it, hopefully they removed all of the filling before they put the crown on. I did a search for crown materials and nothing came up with mercury. My crowns are part metal and part white. The outside is white, while the rest is metal for strength.
  13. springrose22

springrose22 New Member

Do you have access to the same dentist who put in the crowns in the first place? He will have a record of whether there is mercury in the filling or in the crown. You really have to find this out don't you, before you start any chelation. Good luck to you. Marie
  14. swedeboy

swedeboy Member

Yeah I am going to call my Dentists first thing monday morning. The crowns I have are called Porcelain Fused to Metal Crowns (PFM). I am hoping that they do not contain any mercury. On all the websites about mercury amalgam fillings being harmful there is no information about crowns also containing mercury. All of my crowns were done in the past 5 years.
  15. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I think it was in USA Today in Sunday's newpaper, that fish isn't risky to eat because it contains selenium which makes the mercury leave the body harmlessly. I'm wondering whether selenium supplements would have the same effect on mercury from amalgam fillings.

Love, Mikie
  16. AllWXRider

AllWXRider New Member

Selenium is listed as an antagonist to mercury. Dr. Cutler is a Ph.D. Chemist, but he says that it binds to mercury but doesn't get flushed out and our biological process breaks the bond with time and the mercury is free again.
  17. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I knew it sounded too good to be true :)

Love, Mikie