Mercury & low glutathione, low ATP

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mbofov, Sep 14, 2011.

1. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

"[Y]ou make glutathione in the mitochondria of your cells. It's one of your 20 amino acids. Glutathione is your heavy metal detox amino acid. It grabs on to mercury, finds its way to your large intestine. you excrete mercury that way. [But] mercury inhibits the manufacturing of glutathione, so mercury stops its own elimination mechanism. [Hence] it bioaccumulates in your body. It also affects the Krebs cycle. So you're not producing ATP, your energy source."

This quote is from an article entitled “This Procedure Ruins your Body’s Ability to Detoxify Itself”, posted September 7, 2011, on Dr. Mercola’s website. I was immediately struck by this quote as it could explain very neatly why so many PWC have trouble detoxifying and trouble with glutathione production (including me). I did try Rich’s protocol for 3-1/2 years and never got very far, and am currently investigating whether mercury is at the root of the problem.

I recently read about a woman the Phoenix Rising board who was doing a similar B12/folate protocol, got a little better but kept crashing (just like me), until she did chelation for mercury for a couple of months, following Andrew Cutler’s protocol. And after that she was able to go for a bike ride without crashing.

Mercury may play a large part in many of the problems experienced by people on this board, including MCS, exercise intolerance, thyroid and adrenal problems, sleep issues, neurological problems, brain fog, toxic overload, etc. If you’re wondering how you could have a problem with mercury toxicity, one source is “silver” fillings which are actually an amalgam that is 50% mercury.

Detoxifying and chelating for mercury is not simple - you first have to have all amalgam fillings removed and replaced by a dentist knowledgable in the safe replacement of mercury fillings, and possibly crowns replaced. I strongly encourage anyone interested in this to get Andrew Cutler’s book, Amalgam Illness, which explores the subject in great detail. If you are very lucky you will find a doctor who can help you, although I still think it’s a very good idea to read Andy Cutler’s book.

2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Thanks for posting this info. I once worked with a woman with mercury poisoning and her symptoms were identical to CFIDS/ME.

Love, Mikie
  3. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Did she have post-exertional malaise - crashing after rather minimal exertion? THat is my worst symptom.
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

And everything else with which we suffer. I believe that CFIDS/ME can be triggered by a myriad of things, including toxins to which we are exposed. Mine was triggered by a bacterial infection but our symptoms were identical.

Love, Mikie