Mercury or Methylation: Which Comes First?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by equanimous, Feb 2, 2009.

1. equanimous

equanimous New Member

Hi all,

I posted this question on the CFSYasko forum too, but I'm hoping people here might be able to throw in their two cents. So this is sort of a chicken or the egg question. I'm trying to
    figure out whether to do mercury chelation or the methylation protocol first. Is it dangerous to do chelation if you haven't already addressed methylation, and conversely, is the methylation protocol harmful if you still have high levels of mercury in your blood? I recently had my amalgams replaced, but now I'm not sure what the next step is. If anyone could explain this to me, I would be very grateful. Thanks,

2. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

Unfortunately I don't have the answer. I know a little about both, but not nearly enough to answer your question. I actually kind of want to add to your question, if that's ok, and maybe someone can clarify this for both of us. In chelation, the idea is to get rid of the mercury by binding it to something. Does this process also somehow involve methylation? If it does, then obviously, the methylation would need to be addressed for chelation to work, and in order for it to be safe. However, it sort of seems like methylation won't work right if there is mercury poisoning going on. If that is the case, the mercury would need to be addressed first. That might be just restating what you asked. If so, I'm sorry. I'm obviously a bit confused, too.