Mercury poisoning....what do you think?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by alaska3355, Sep 9, 2005.

  1. alaska3355

    alaska3355 New Member

    Our son was dx'd as having mercury poisoning from his numerous fillings...which has resulted in his chronic fatigue. I have been reading up on the subject, and some people have benefitted from removal of their amalgam fillings (replacing with a com-
    posite) and some did not improve. What do you think?
    I understand that chelation is necessary to help remove ALL of the mercury (well, as much as possible). Thanks.
  2. Rosiebud

    Rosiebud New Member

    the dentist who removes the fillings has to know what they are doing and there is a special way of doing it to ensure that none of the mercury removed gets into the system. For that reason it's been said that it's better to leave the fillings alone.

    So make sure your son is treated in the correct manner.

    I've read of people improving and of people who dont but if your son has a definite diagnosis of this then it should help him.

    Good luck to him, I've thought about doing this myself. Please let us know how he gets on and if it helps him, though it will probably take some time.

    Rosie
  3. alaska3355

    alaska3355 New Member

    You should definitely try chelation....and charcoal tablets can help reduce your mercury level. The DMPS injection that my son got only got rid of what was in his urine, but just that much made a difference in his energy level! Both times he has had it he had so much energy he didn't want to go to bed (he's 18).
    It might be something that could help....

    Take care!
  4. Pianowoman

    Pianowoman New Member

    I finished having my fillings replaced in the spring. I had had some chelation prior to that but many of my fillings were old and were leaking. It is true that if the mercury continues to leak into your system the chelation is less effective.

    My teeth were very sensitive before and now my mouth feels great. Some form of long term detoxification is necessary after the dental work. I am on some oral detoxifiers and am using the infrared sauna regularly. I do get DMPS at times but I feel worse after the injections.

    Overall, I am noticing an increase in energy but also a much clearer head. Since mercury is a neurotoxin, this would make sense.I think it takes much longer ,though to really know if there will be a major difference.

    Having said all this, I am aware that not everyone will respond well to this. That's one of the frustrations about our illness. It's a big decision and I chose to take it. I'm glad I did.

    Cheers,
    Kathy
  5. WoodstocksMusic

    WoodstocksMusic New Member

    having all my mercury fillings removed and replaced with crowns.

    I have had the best 2 years yet in a life with fibro.

    4 or 5 years ago I could not get out of bed...or I merely crawled from bed to couch. Today I am functioning at a much better level. I still flare but they are occasional and do not last longer then a week or 2 these days.

    I had a mouth full of mercury filling. Every year or so one would crack and fall out and I would be back to have it replaced...with another dang mercury filling. When I finally researched the mercury connection I decided that for myself it was worth a try! Heck I had tried almost everything else.

    I am proof that it was not a cure all...but I feel like it was another one of those good steps towards controlling FM that I have taken.
    [This Message was Edited on 10/08/2005]
  6. mommysisland

    mommysisland New Member

    but it has been a long and scary road.

    I totally believe mercury can be the source of a multitude of problems. While it seems most people tolerate some mercury amalgam without appreciable problem, there is a group of people who are allergic or hypersensitive to it, and they are plainly hurt by mercury in amalgam.

    I have now been tested and know that I am, (and always have been), genetically predisposed to be hurt by mercury. I'm also hypersensitive. I wish I knew that when I had my amalgams out, (or better yet, beforehand, to keep them from going in!) because, in most respects, I got sicker instead of better. Chelating made it even worse. This year I began taking glutathione (first IV's, now liposomal -- an oral form) and have made STUNNING progress.

    I'm going to vocational rehab to help me get off SSD. I'm caring for my children without help for the first time. My double vision has backed off sufficiently to let me drive and get my kids from school. A year ago, I wouldn't have thought it possible.

    Glutathione is the body's natural detoxifiation agent for mercury. Most PWC's have low glutathione.

    This is my long-winded way of saying one's response to amalgam removal really depends on a lot of factors. How sick is he? How many amalgams? How and by whom was he diagnosed? What sort of tests have you done?

    I'd be glad to give you my two cents worth of non-professional advice if you'd like me too.

    If you haven't done so already, search "mercury" and you'll find many posts on this subject.

    All the best,

    Jessica
  7. alaska3355

    alaska3355 New Member

    Our son has had CFS for 10 months now. It was a sudden onset after a viral bronchitis last October. He has lost 28 lbs., has a lot less energy and motivation than he used to, and is sensitive to different chemicals. He sleeps like a comatose person, which is scary...we'd have to drag him out if there was a fire. His blood tests all come back normal, but the new GP we are going to is sort of a maverick. He does blood allergy tests for food allergies, hair analysis for heavy metals (thus the indicators for mercury poisoning, although mercury doesn't show up in the hair) and has a lot of experience in dealing with chronic fatigue. Our son tested low for potassium, lithium, and a few other minerals, which he felt pointed to classic indicators of mercury poisoning. His urine test showed high levels of mercury.

    I feel pretty good about starting to replace his fillings. Whenever he has a DMPS (or even dumped some mercury in the urine test) he felt great for a day...then back to tired. So I think it will take awhile to cleanse his system of the mercury.

    Hey, Pianowoman, I'm a piano teacher! Nice to meet you.
  8. tansy

    tansy New Member

    in the 80s but the recommended procedure was not followed, this left me in no doubt mercury was/is a problem. Chelation was different in those days and it's good to see protocols have evolved since then.

    Now I am going for the gentle approach: cilantro (currently sourced from eating home grown organic coriander leaves), chlorella (which I can finally tolerate again :)), and lipoic acid etc to raise my glutathione levels.

    Jessica

    This is great news. I have been following your progress elsewhere and it warmed my heart to read how dealing with the mercury and using gluathione, finally turned your health issues around.

    Tansy
  9. Pianowoman

    Pianowoman New Member

    Music keeps me sane! I play piano and organ.
    I forgot to mention that Chlorella is a great oral detoxifier and easy to take. My mercury levels were high but I haven't been tested yet since I had the fillings replaced.

    Take Care.
    Kathy.
  10. alaska3355

    alaska3355 New Member

  11. spartanjt

    spartanjt New Member

    I had amalgams removed from 15 molars back in 2001 & have been on a slow, but steady, health/detox program ever since.

    Just in the past year i am noticing that i have increased energy, & can think more clearly. I've been taking chlorella (Yaeyama brand) for over a year now & that is the major reason i attribute by health improvements to.

    Best thing to do is find a dentist that knows how to safely remove the amalgams ( & replace them w/a not toxic material) & then get on a detox/chelation program afterwards.

    A word of warning about using DMPS though,,,,,it is a very powerful chelator that tends to pull too much mercury out of the body,,,too fast,,,which can cause peripheral damage to other organs. Best route is to use things such as chlorella, cilantro,,,etc. & possibly the use of small amounts of DMSA, taken orally can be useful too.

    JT
  12. Staceymarie

    Staceymarie New Member

    I had 8 large amalgams removed from my mouth a couple of years ago (by a dentist who specializes in removing them properly) and I feel 90% better than I did then. I was to the point that I slept all day, would get up long enough to eat, and go back to sleep. I had severe brain fog and hurt/ached all over. This went on for years and at the time, I was only 28. I even contemplated suicide (which I am so ashamed to admit). That just tells you how poor the quality of my life was.
    Needless to say, for me personally, it was the best health decision I ever made. Thank God I didn't listen to the ADA or the many dentists who claim its not possible to get sick from amalgams. Hey....when it comes to my health, I'm not taking any chances. That is the one time I'm glad I didn't listen to docs and other dentists.
    Some people say it didn't help them any, but it did me. I still am tired more than the "normal" person, but nothing like before.
    Stacey
  13. alaska3355

    alaska3355 New Member

    We're going to get started on replacing the fillings in October. I found a dentist that uses a mask over the nose (nitrous oxide) and a rubber dam to protect the mouth from falling mercury. We're also treating our son for food allergies, so I'm hoping all of this will make him a lot better for college.