Mercury Thermometer- our simple "research" study here

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jackiec, Sep 3, 2002.

1. jackiec

jackiec New Member

Who broke open and played with mercury when they were kids....accidentally or on purpose. We will keep track of it for our "research" project here. A simple reply is all that is necessary. If you need further explanation, see "OK, let's get serious" (started by Sharon R)

Can't say this ever happened to me....what about the rest of you?
  2. jackiec

jackiec New Member

Who broke open and played with mercury when they were kids....accidentally or on purpose. We will keep track of it for our "research" project here. A simple reply is all that is necessary. If you need further explanation, see "OK, let's get serious" (started by Sharon R)

Can't say this ever happened to me....what about the rest of you?
  3. kadywill

kadywill New Member

I did, but not as a kid; as an adult when the thermometer broke, I thought it was cool to roll the mercury around!! Connection??
  4. majic

majic New Member

me never happen to me. majic
  5. jackiec

jackiec New Member

Hey, I barely posted this topic and two replies already!!!! Now I'm getting enthused about this project!! Keep your replies coming (kadywill, I can see me doing this as an adult.....find everything more fascinating now!)

J.C.
  6. Jeweller

Jeweller New Member

but I spent an awful lot of time in chemistry labs between the ages of 11 and 22, so I was certainly exposed to mercury. Unfortunately, I was also exposed to virtually every other toxin you care to mention, including radioactive and biological, because of the inevitable proximity of chemistry, physics and biology labs.

Ros
  7. jackiec

jackiec New Member

Mouse asked whether we will consider mercury exposure from amalgam fillings ---- why not? I'll track it best I can. Thanks for the added thought.

J.C.
  8. tired42long

tired42long New Member

I know I did this TWICE...once as a kid, I remember hurrying and cleaning it up so my mom wouldn't know (even though I didn't know it was 'hazardous material'). The second time I was a young adult with 2 little kids...in a hurry and broke on the floor...I swept it up --and from what I hear the 'vapors'can hang around a while.---also have more than half of my mouth full of fillings due to childhood illnesses/fever that destroyed my teeth.
  9. Suze

Suze New Member

I remember playing with those fascinating little blobs, but I don't know at what age.

I also have a mouth full of fillings.

Suze
  10. sb439

sb439 New Member

Hi, I broke a Mercury Thermometer as an adult, and let the little silver pearls lay on the floor for some time before picking them up with my hands and a tissue to throw them away - about two month before my CFIDS started getting much worse.(I had fever at the time, because of a tooth abcess, tell you this just to justify my stupidity a bit ...) I was also diagnosed with slight Mercury toxicity, a year later, but this may have resulted from my many fillings, too, I believe, which by now have all been replaced.
    Susanne
  11. Dara

Dara New Member

to try & catch the little balls of mercury rolling around. Almost every tooth in my mouth had at one time a mercury filling.

Dara
  12. Deb*NC*

Deb*NC* New Member

I had one to break in my mouth, I didnt know they would break that easy.I was an adult maybe around 23.
  13. Shoobie

Shoobie New Member

Two fillings.

Broke a thermometer a few years back but did not pick up the mercury with bare hands.

-Shoobie
  14. sybil

sybil New Member

broke a therm.4 fillings.i don't think mercury is a problem for me at all,

sybilxxx
  15. Jasmine

Jasmine New Member

I never played with mercury when I was young. My father is a chemistry professor so that was a no-no! I've got tons of mercury fillings and even did NAET against mercury as my doctor felt I was allergic to mercury.

Love, Jasmine
  16. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I may be a klutz, but I've never broken a thermometer. I have seven mercury amalgam fillings now, but used to have ten thanks to my childhood love for Heath bars!
    Klutzo
  17. brenbrat

brenbrat New Member

An older classmate brought some mercury (sneaked it out of chemistry class, I guess)into one of our classes and tossed the "stuff". It landed inside of my glasses. I ran to the restroom and flushed my eyes in case. The teacher was panicked and my mom very mad. The chemistry teacher thought it would be harmless!

brenbrat

18. BethM

BethM New Member

I remember playing with the stuff when I was little. My dad had a jar of it! Who knew it was toxic, it was great fun! I've also been around several broken mercury thermometers over the years.

Beth.
  19. georgia

georgia New Member

to let the stuff roll around in the palm of your hand.

[This Message was Edited on 09/04/2002]
  20. Coping

Coping New Member

I remember playing with mercury as a child because it an unusual and fascinating substance. I also had a mouth full of amalgam fillings at one time. Now they are crowns.

Tricia