Merina coils fibromyalgia warning for women

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by bunnym, Aug 19, 2008.

1. bunnym

bunnym New Member

I just wanted to pass on an experience I had recently that has now been resolved.

As I had terrible menstrual pains and bleeding- the cramps obviously exacerbated by the fibro, my doctor sent me to have a merina coil implanted in my womb.

The procedure went well, but altho the cramps were meant to stop after a week or 2, mine carried on, getting more and more severe. It was like having childbirth contractions- they would happen out of the blue or when I was very tired and totally knock me out. The amount of people who came up to me on the streets asking if I was OK was amazing.

I stuck with it for 6 months- it had made the original problem much better, but caused a new one. Finally I went for my 6 months check up at the hospital. The Doctor actually knew about fibro (oh, you have the 'princess and the pea' illness) and was very concerned about the problems I was having. He had never heard of anyone having such a reaction to the womb implant. It was decided to remove it and instead, have a hormone injection in my bottom.

After just a few days the contraction pains went and haven't returned in 2 months. It has made a huge difference. My local doctor said I just had to stick with it, hoping it would just get better, but she was wrong. Half a year of staggering pain. People just don't know yet how many standard procedures will affect fibro sufferers.

I wanted to pass this on just in case it is of any use to anyone.