Message for ChilLad-I have sleep research info!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by EllenComstock, Nov 5, 2002.

1. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

Hi, ChilLad:

Decided I would do a separate post since my original one is far down the list now and I don't know how you bump it to the front.

Do you have someone who could drive you to Detroit? I know that going without sleep medication is a problem. I am fortunate in that my husband will take me. The first day you don't have to be there until two hours before bedtime. On the second day you will have time in the middle of the day when you don't have to stay in the hospital, but you don't want to go too far away since you have to be back there in the evening. So you will spend every night there. After you return to the hospital the second evening, you will stay there for the remainder of the study-the whole next two days and then be released early the third day. The study, of course, will be conducted while you are sleeping. The days that you are there they will encourage you to take naps. When you are not being studied, there is a television in the room. You can also do other activities in the hospital as long as they are quiet ones (no exercising). You can also have visitors. That's all the information I have now. I'm sure I will find out more next week when I meet with Dr. Gillis.

When I said you have to go without medication for ten days that was an estimation. Dr. Gillis said she will let me know exactly how long I have to go without medication when I see her November 12. Here is the hospital address:

2. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

Hi, ChilLad:

Decided I would do a separate post since my original one is far down the list now and I don't know how you bump it to the front.

Do you have someone who could drive you to Detroit? I know that going without sleep medication is a problem. I am fortunate in that my husband will take me. The first day you don't have to be there until two hours before bedtime. On the second day you will have time in the middle of the day when you don't have to stay in the hospital, but you don't want to go too far away since you have to be back there in the evening. So you will spend every night there. After you return to the hospital the second evening, you will stay there for the remainder of the study-the whole next two days and then be released early the third day. The study, of course, will be conducted while you are sleeping. The days that you are there they will encourage you to take naps. When you are not being studied, there is a television in the room. You can also do other activities in the hospital as long as they are quiet ones (no exercising). You can also have visitors. That's all the information I have now. I'm sure I will find out more next week when I meet with Dr. Gillis.

When I said you have to go without medication for ten days that was an estimation. Dr. Gillis said she will let me know exactly how long I have to go without medication when I see her November 12. Here is the hospital address:

3. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

I accidently hit post your message. Here is the info:

Mazy E. Gillis, Ph.D.
    Post Doctoral Research Fellow
    Sleep Disorders & Research Center
    Henry Ford Hospital
    2799 W. Grand Blvd., CFP3
    Detroit, MI 48202
    (313) 916-5139 (phone)
    (313) 916-5167 (fax)
    Email: mgillis1@hfhs.org

You will be paid $500.00 for participating in this research study, which should more than cover your expenses. Let me know if you do decide to participate and how it went for you. I will let everyone know how I did early December.

Ellen
  4. CL

CL New Member

Thanks so much for all the info. I will contact them soon.
    I just signed up for a CBT and exercise study here and they will call me Friday to see if I qualify. I would have to go in every other week so I don't think it would be a problem to do both. As I said before my only concern is if I would be able to drive to Detroit after being of my sleep meds and if I would have to go twice. Once to see the doctor and later to do the tests. Anyway, thanks for the info and I will let you know what happens and I look forward to hearing about your experience. Good luck!

ChiLad

ps. Every time you reply to a post it gets sent back to the beginning of the list, so to bump a post all you need to do is write something as a reply - like BUMP if you have nothing else to say and the post will return to the top of the first page.[This Message was Edited on 11/06/2002]