Message for Mikie and other guai users

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by EllenComstock, Sep 23, 2003.

1. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

Hi, Mikie and everyone who is doing the guai program:

I posted last week about how bad I've been feeling the past several weeks. I am hoping and praying that it is the guai that is making me feel this way and not just the FM itself. I have decided to lower the dosage again from 900 to 600 mg. I started out at 1200 and had to lower to 900. I am hoping I can stay at the 600 mg. I know you suggested doing this, Mikie, and I've decided you are right. This flare I've been experiencing is making it very difficult to work and do the basics at home.

I skimmed through Dr. St. Armand's book again, but offhand didn't see what I wanted to know about flares brought on by guaifenesin. Here's my question: when you are in a flare brought on by the guai, have any of you noticed that you are urinating more frequently? I am thinking that if the body is beginning to be cleansed of toxins that it's possible that you would be running to the bathroom more frequently. I have always had to go more often anyway, but now it's really often. I have problems also with IBS and occasionally have a problem with cystitis (not sure of spelling-can't think well today). Just to be sure I didn't have an infection, I got checked out at the doctor's office last week and I was okay. I don't have the usual symptoms that people have when they have an infection-extreme pain when urinating. So I never know for sure. I've only had infections a couple of times.

Sorry to ramble on. Hope this makes sense. I did get a little more sleep last night (hubby and I have decided to sleep in separate rooms for now). I hated to do it, but no sense both of us losing sleep.

Thanks for listening and would appreciate any feedback on the guai flares and urinating frequently.

Ellen
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Yes, I run to the john all the time. It may be the Guai, but it may also be the fact that I drink a ton of water every day. The more you urinate, the more phosphate you are dumping. This may explain your flare. It is very painful when the Guai causes the pulling of the phosphate crystals out of the soft tissue. It's like dragging tiny fish hooks through your muscles. No wonder it hurts. Just keep in mind that it's worse in the beginning.

Most people find that 600 mgs is the ideal dose for cycling. My guess is that at that dose, you will start noticing some good days.

I applaud your patience and tenacity in this treatment. That is what it takes to be successful on the Guai treatment. The good news is that you know it's working and will continue to work and you will start to improve when you get the dose just right. Later on, when things settle down, if you want to increase the dose, you can do it gradually to speed up the process. Good luck and hang in there.

Love, Mikie
  3. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

You are always so good about responding right away. Yes, like you I also try to drink a lot of water throughout the day. I keep water on my desk and sip it throughout the day. I have pretty much given up drinking pop and other beverages. Just water and milk. I know it's healthier.

Thanks for giving me the encouragement to keep going!

Ellen
  4. Dlebbole

Dlebbole New Member

and still had very noticeable symptoms. I think that since cystitis has been a problem for you in the past, that the guai could be working on this spot. I did notice that things came in cycles. Nothing new, symptom-wise, but sort of cycling through old symptoms from the past. The symptoms seemed less intense than they had originally been and they didn't last as long. diane
  5. angelheart

angelheart New Member

Hi Ellen,

I am also a Guai user and have been on it for 2 years and 4 months. I started at 600 mg. and increased only once to 900 mg. and have decided to stay at that. Without the Guai I am convinced I couldn't work my full-time job. It is still difficult but somehow I manage. Right after Labor Day I had the worst flare ever and I came to read posts here and saw one about certain berries blocking Guai. I had made a Blueberry Pudding Cake that weekend and had bought too many berries so was eating them like candy for days. After reading about the berries here I am convinced they were blocking the Guai as nothing else changed in my daily routine. I have eaten blue berries before here and there but never to that extent, so now I know I musn't do that again. Since I have been on the Guai so long I sometimes think, I wonder if it is really doing anything (I still have pain though not as severe and other FM symptoms too), but when I do something to block it and the pain is unbearable I know it works! Hang in there--Mikie is right tenacity and persistence are a must with the Guai protocol. I am proud of you and keep it up!

~Angel Blessings~
  6. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

For your response. I didn't realize that eating large amounts of berries can block the guai. It does sound like you ate quite a few-more than I probably would in a short time. But that's good info to have.

I think my doctor started me on too high of a dose. Like Mikie said before, sometimes with this program we know more about it than the doctors. He started me on 1200 mg, which I know now is way too high.

Glad the guai has helped all of you. I've been on it only for four months, but I am hopeful that someday I can say that it has helped me, too.

Ellen