message for obrnic Re: Thymic Hyperplasia

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by happygranny, Sep 2, 2005.

1. happygranny

happygranny Member

Hello Laurie,

I just found your message from last summer about Thymic Hyperplasia, and hope to ask you a few questions.

I too had my enlarged Thymus surgically removed ( though mine was crack-open-my-rib-cage). It was also discovered, like you, from a CT scan of my chest. This occured in April 2002.

My symptoms really worsened 2-3 weeks after the surgery. Recently I started taking a product called Thymus Plus Caps. It includes bovine glandulars - thymus, lymph and spleen-. I started to take it because I thought it might help replenish what my thymus used to do.

I have had a really strong herx reaction, and I don't know if it is a good thing or not. I have not got a doctor to dicsuss this with, so I am winging it.

Do you still feel that the surgery made no difference to your health except for the relief from the 'feeling' in your chest? (I know what that feeling is like).

Anything else you can tell me about?

Thanks,

happygranny - Jeannie
  2. obrnlc

obrnlc New Member

hi jeannie--
    just stumbled upon this, sorry, i took my email address off my profile. I had a huge relief of symptoms for about a week ( but i think it was a combo of general anesthetic and iv magnesium in the hospital) but had a much less painful procedure than you (OUCH!!!) so had less recovery time).
    I don't take any supplements, as i find most to be kind of useless, and i can't afford them anyway. I did have a huge increase in symptoms after the initial week or so, but i guess that was just trauma to the system from surgery.
    all in all, it really made no difference in my health. did you have a blood work up for myasthenia gravis? the best part of the thymic hyperplasia is that if offers PROOF of some type of autoimmune disorder in a disease that everyone seems to think is all in our heads!!
    when i hear from you that you are on, will post you my email, not sure how to do that on here. have a great day--laurie
  3. happygranny

happygranny Member

Yes, I was checked out for Myasthenia Gravis, (didn't have the sleepy-symptoms anyway).
    I felt good post-op, except for the healing part. I was told by the surgeon that removing the thymus the way you did was dangerous if it was cancerous, because seeds of the cancer could spread. Who knows!

The surgery was April 2002

About 4 weeks post-op I had my first really strong feeling of my energy being sucked out of me. It was quite scarry. At the time I thought maybe I had over-done it that day and rested well the next day. (still thinking this was due to the surgery).

Slowly the symptoms worsened to where I am today, DXd with FMS and CFS, unable to work, on disability.

Prior to the surgery I had been experiencing Really Strong heart palpitations (Premature Ventricular Contractions-PVCs) and chest pain. I had been involved in a MVA (Feb 2000) and had severe seatbelt injuries, including fractured sternum. When I started having the PVCs (18 months after the MVA) I thought maybe it was due to scar tissue from the accident. The internist decided to humor me and ordered the CT scan which showed the Thymic Hyperplasia.

Having had allergies all my life, and using cortisone cream for about 35 years, I thought that was why my thymus was enlarged. Now, like you, I realize it has to do with my immune system.

It was one year after the surgery that I had the Dx of FMS and CFS, and shortly after that I had to quit working.

I do take supplements, mostly magnesium, 750 mgs a day. I also take a strong multi-vitamin that includes a lot of B vitamins and digestive enzymes. I also take probiotics.

The last 2 years I have tried a lot of other things including Guaifenesin, Transfer Factors, Candidiasis treatment with Nystatin and I can't remember what else.

The B vitamins have helped with the PVCs. I also take Trazedone for sleep and Tylenol 3s for pain.

Tell me a little more about you please. It isn't easy to exchange email addresses here, hopefully we can exchange info on this post.

Thanks for getting back to me and I wish you all the best.

happygranny