Message for Sissy123

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by EllenComstock, May 27, 2003.

1. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

Hi, Sissy:

I just got your message yesterday about wanting to start a support group. I was on vacation last week and have no computer at home so I am behind here!

I wasn't the one who started the FM support group I go to, but I think that you first need to do some advertising to see how many people are interested in your area. You can probably get your local newspaper to print your article on wanting to start a group. Maybe put up some flyers in public places that have bulletin boards like grocery stores? I would put it on bright colored paper to hopefully get people's attention. The radio station in my town has a program that talks about things going on in my county. Maybe you can get your group advertised on the radio for free.

As far as a meeting place, how about a local restaurant. Years ago I was a member of my local Jaycees and we met at the Big Boy restaurant. They had a meeting room downstairs that we used for free. We met in the evenings and since they let us use the room for free, many of us would order dinner, or if we had already eaten, a drink or a dessert. That way the restaurant made a little money on us and we had a free meeting place once a month. Just an idea.

I would start out slowly on this. I think it's important to get ideas from all members on what they want out of the group. How often do they want to meet? Maybe once your group gets somewhat established, try to get some guest speakers. We have had people who do massage therapy, a doctor. Maybe you can find a lawyer who can speak on getting disability. We are eventually going to have someone come who does acupuncture.

Anyway, I'm no expert, but just throwing out some ideas for you. Good luck to you. I think it's wonderful that you are willing to put forth the effort to get this going.

Ellen Comstock
  2. Sissy123

Sissy123 New Member

I will do just those things you mentioned. I hope their are others in my area that are interested in fibro,cfs. I just know I cant be the only one who suffers from this DD. Thanks alot Sis