Message Therapy

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by NewEnglander, May 12, 2003.

1. NewEnglander

NewEnglander New Member

Hi there
    does anyone know if massage therapy is a good thing for fibro and cronic pain. my car insurance might be paying for it, which would be so awesome. If I can get the massage theraphy do I ask the therapist what her credentials are? what questions should I ask? I don't want more pain then what I'm having now.
    thanks
    Lisa
  2. jka

jka New Member

i go once a week.it has helped.my back and neck are so bad she has a hard time breaking through the different layers.when i first started it really hurt afterwards.after 3-4 visits the pain backed off and started to feel some difference.i don't have daily headaches anymore.that was a big releif.when i over do it-i pay for it!

kathy c
  3. starstella

starstella New Member

can be great for fibro pain, helping to work out all those knots and sore spots. To be most helpful, you need to go routinely for awhile, so if you can get it paid for by insurance, then go for it!
    I'm not an expert on massage therapy but I'll share my opinion with you based on my experience. I found a good massage therapist through my chiropractor's office. You would want to know what type of massage the masseuse practices. Swedish massage is the regular massage, which from my limited experience is good if you're having a lot of fibro pain. Shiatsu massage therapy applies pressure in certain points, I had one once in my pre fibro life, and it felt good, but I don't think I could handle it know.
    You would also want to know if the massage therapist has worked with fibro patients, and the length of sessions they schedule. Mine schedules 30 minute and 60 minute sessions. You may want to schedule the first session for 30 minutes to see how you like it.
    The first time I went for the massage with fibro I thought "just this one time". But as the massage started, I started thinking " gee, maybe I can go twice a week......"
    Now I go whenever I'm getting more pain, but don't go enough as far as I'm concerned. I don't understand why massage by a massage therapist is not covered by insurance, but if a physical therapist does it it is. Go figure.
  4. NewEnglander

NewEnglander New Member

5. Nikki

Nikki Member

I always looked forward to my massage therapy . . . my MT was really good with trigger points . . . and I usually spent 90 minutes w/her every other week. However, she moved to another state, and now it's included in my PT routine (but only 30 minutes . . . not enough time).

Do ask about trigger point massage and if the MT has any fibro/chronic pain patients. You'll be surprised how sore your muscles really are when she begins the massage. It hurts . . . but, it's a good pain. Also, my MT was female. I don't think I could have relaxed as well with a male MT (no offense guys) and it's very important to be relaxed.

Also, very Important: Don't forget to drink plenty of water to wash out the toxins after your massage. You may be sore for a few days afterwards, but then it gets better.

Another thing that's been helping me is my Theracane for self massage. It works best when I'm lying on the floor. You can order it off the internet. Just check around to get your best price.

Good Luck...........nikki

[ advertisement ]