Message to All,,,

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by elliespad, Feb 15, 2006.

1. elliespad

elliespad Member

There is no subject related to health, wellness, CFIDS, FIBRO than I am MORE PASSIONATE about, than PESTICIDES.I try not to RAG on this too much, but today, well I am.

Please take time, to read this introductory article about Pesticides. Each class of Pesticides can FULLY explain every symptom we have. I know many pooh, pooh this link, but I KNOW in my heart it is the reason we are sick.

Before you come on saying it isn't what brought on your illness, please read and digest what is in this. My approach to treatment has brought me resolution, or at least a DRASTIC lessing of symptoms, with the exception of weakness, because of Neurological Damage. Hope I typed this link correctly:

schoolipm.ifas.ufl.edu/techp13.htm

There are 5 Classes of Insecticides, those that:

1.Affect Nervous System - hardest to undue longterm damage
    2.Inhibit Energy Production - treating Mitochonria helps
    3.Affect Endocrine System - Treat w/ multipal hormones helps
    4.Inhibit Cuticle Production - affect skeleton - bones
    5.Affects Water Balance - lots of problems, cells need water

[This Message was Edited on 02/15/2006]
  2. KateMac329

KateMac329 New Member

Hello!

Thank you for sharing this with us! I personally believe that my FM and CFS are caused by a few different things and pesticides are one of them.

I became sick after my husband and I moved into the house we live in now. At first I thought it was our home but after careful attention I realized that it was the cotton fields all around us!!!

I get EXTREMELY sick in the Fall when they spray certain defoiliants (sp) on the cotton so they can harvest it.

I personally feel that this is a contributing factor in my case.

Okay I would love to type more but little man is crying!

THANKS!

((((((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))

kate
  3. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

And herbicides too. I would rather eat less and get organic foods and dairy etc than buy stuff sprayed with this stuff. One only has to look at how many species die each week, gone forever, due to the way we treat this planet.

Keep on ragging on till more people hear you.

Love Anne C
  4. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

I agree with you on pesticides. We quit even putting anything down around the house and haven't for well over 9 years. There are toads and spiders around plus other things and I just don't like the idea of having the chemicals in my yard.

It's not good for us and it isn't good for wildlife or our pets or our neighbor's pets.

In the end everything balances itself out and we really can get by without using any around the house.

For ants and roaches, we have the motels in the house. I surely hope they are safe. For the crickets we use the yellow sticky traps under the stairs in the garage. Biscuit (cat) leaves the traps alone and doesn't mess with them.

Years ago when I was in my 20's, I worked with a lot of house plants and I used so very toxic pesticides. To make matters worse, this was in my bedroom where I was growing a lot of plants and using the chemicals.

Well I'll get off my soapbox now.

Hugs and thanks for bringing this subject up, Elliespad,
    Faye
    BTW, we don't use anything on Biscuit for fleas. Just use a flea comb. I do use Precor on the carpet. It is a growth regulator for fleas. Supposed to be safe, but I have to use something. I don't know how she gets the fleas as she is inside only.
    [This Message was Edited on 02/15/2006]
  5. elliespad

elliespad Member

Yes, cotton crops use very high amounts of pesticides. Also, if your home was previously treated for ants, termites, etc., the levels can remain high for years or decades. This except from an article lists (4) common insecticides used on cotton crops. After the article, I looked up JUST ONE of them, PHORATE. It is in the class of Organophosphates. Then I did a cut and paste on it.

-----------------------------------------------------------
    Problems with conventional cotton production

The following is excerpted from PANNA’s Organic Cotton Briefing Kit (See the Cotton page in the Resources section.)

Conventionally grown cotton uses more insecticides than any other single crop and epitomizes the worst effects of chemically dependent agriculture. Each year cotton producers around the world use nearly $2.6 billion worth of pesticides -- more than 10% of the world's pesticides and nearly 25% of the world's insecticides.

Cotton growers typically use many of the most hazardous pesticides on the market including aldicarb, phorate, methamidophos and endosulfan. Cotton pesticides are often broad spectrum organophosphates--pesticides originally developed as toxic nerve agents during World War II--and carbamate pesticides

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    PHORATE

Trade and Other Names: Trade names include AC 8911, Agrimet, Geomet, Granutox, Phorate 10G, Rampart, Terrathion, Thimenox, Thimet, Timet, Vegfru, and Vegfru Foratox.

Regulatory Status: Phorate is a highly toxic compound in EPA toxicity class I. Labels for products containing it must bear the Signal Words DANGER - POISON. It is a Restricted Use Pesticide (RUP). RUPs may be purchased and used only by certified applicators.

Chemical Class: organophosphate

Introduction: Phorate is an organophosphorus insecticide and acaricide used to control sucking and chewing insects, leafhoppers, leafminers, mites, some nematodes, and rootworms [1,2]. Phorate is used in pine forests and on root and field crops, including corn, cotton, coffee, some ornamental and herbaceous plants, and bulbs. It is available in granular and emulsifiable concentrate formulations.

Formulation: It is available in granular and emusifiable concentrate formulations.

Toxicological Effects:

Acute toxicity: Phorate is highly toxic via the oral route with reported oral LD50 values of 1.1 to 3.7 mg/kg in rats [2,13], and 2.25 to 6.59 mg/kg in mice [2,87]. It is highly toxic via the dermal route as well, with reported dermal LD50 values of 2.5 to 6.2 mg/kg in rats [2,13], and 5.2 mg/kg in rabbits [2,87]. Guinea pigs reportedly have a dermal LD50 of 20 to 30 mg/kg during a 24-hour exposure [13,87]. The acute 1-hour inhalation LC50 for rats is reported as 0.06 mg/L [13]. Symptoms of acute exposure to phorate are similar to those caused by exposure to other organophosphate pesticides, except that they may occur at lower doses. Symptoms of acute exposure to organophosphate or cholinesterase-inhibiting compounds may include the following: numbness, tingling sensations, incoordination, headache, dizziness, tremor, nausea, abdominal cramps, sweating, blurred vision, difficulty breathing or respiratory depression, and slow heartbeat. Very high doses may result in unconsciousness, incontinence, and convulsions or fatality. Toxicity appears to vary with age, with the young being more susceptible [8]. Several poisoning cases involved workers from 16 to 18 years old, wearing inadequate protection while applying phorate to crops, or working around machines used to apply phorate [2,8]. Studies indicate that direct eye exposure may cause blurring, tearing, and ocular pain [2].
    Chronic toxicity: Repeated low-level exposures may result in cholinesterase inhibition and the associated neurological and neuromuscular effects [2]. A survey of workers exposed to phorate revealed toxic effects in 60% of the males tested (after a 2-week exposure). Symptoms included a lowering of the heart rate. Effects on cholinesterase in the blood of the workers were also noted in this study [2,8]. In a study on dogs, moderate to high doses of phorate 6 days each week for 13 to 15 weeks lowered cholinesterase activity, but produced no tissue damage [87].
    Reproductive effects: Long-term studies of mice fed high doses of 98.7% pure phorate showed no effects on fertility, gestation, or viability [87]. Maternal and embryo toxicity occurred at dietary doses of 0.5 mg/kg/day fed to rats [88]. Available data suggest that phorate is unlikely to cause reproductive effects.
    Teratogenic effects: No birth defects were found in two studies on the rat [87,88]. Available data suggest that phorate does not cause birth defects.
    Mutagenic effects: Studies of phorate in both bacterial systems or in mice indicate that it is nonmutagenic [2].
    Carcinogenic effects: Studies in both rats and mice produced no evidence of carcinogenicity [88].
    Organ toxicity: Phorate's main target organ, as determined by animal testing and human use experience, is the nervous system.
    Fate in humans and animals: Phorate is readily absorbed by the skin and the gastrointestinal tract. The major breakdown products of phorate in mammals are more toxic and have greater anticholinesterase activity than phorate [2]. Phorate may have a long residence time in mammalian systems; for example, rats given a high oral dose excreted less than 40% in 6 days. The liver, kidney, lung, brain, and glandular tissue held the remaining residues [89].