Mestinon - Anyone on it and having luck?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Manwithfibro, Oct 26, 2005.

1. Manwithfibro

Manwithfibro New Member

I have heard it releases GH during exercise so it then repairs our body.

Anyone having success? Thanks
  2. laura81655

laura81655 New Member

never heard of this, hope you get some reponses
  3. ScooterD

ScooterD New Member

I haven't tried it but I have read about it in Arthritis Today mag. It sure seems to work for a lot of people - I'll look forward to any replies you get! (arthritis.org is where you can read the article if you'd like).
    Best of luck
  4. elliespad

elliespad Member

She was on it for about 10, before she died in 1995. She was DX. with Myasthenia Gravis (not exact, but as close a Dx. as her Neurologist could make). She had Tensilon testing and the (near) Dx. was based on that. She felt the Mestinon helped her weakness, can't prove it by me and my observaitons. Later, As she was in end stages of COPD, we moved her from her home in Florida to live with us until the end came. During one of her hospital admissions, her attending Neurologist declared she didn't have M.G. and took her off the Mestinon. She was so debilitated that she was no longer mobile or coherent. He said she would certainly crash without the Mestinon. She was already a train wreck so who knows if she crashed or not.

Years later, I asked one of my Docs to try me on Mestinon, just a trial, and he refused. He felt the side effects were too risky and would increase my heart rate too much. That was last I thought about trying it.

May be an interesting trial if you can get your doc to prescribe it. Please let us know.
  5. elliespad

elliespad Member

After reading the previous article, (thanks NANGEE)I want to add this. In addition to the possible Myasthenia Gravis dx. and COPD, she also developed Lung Cancer. She had another 10 or more unbearable dx. besides all these. I stated my mother was treated for about 10 years or so with Mestinon. If it's true that Mestinon raises Growth Hormone levels, it may be possible that her Mestinon treatment influenced her developing Lung Cancer. Although she WAS a smoker. Food for thought.
    [This Message was Edited on 10/26/2005]
  6. malinta

malinta New Member

I have tried Mestinon. At first I felt great. Like I was almost back to normal.

After taking it for about two weeks I developed weakness in legs and arms. I also had a hard time holding my head up straight, my neck muscles were very weak.

My doctor started me on 1 tsp per day and gradually increased the dosage to 1 tsp 3 times per day.

The last time I saw my doctor he gave me permission to re-start the Mestinon if I wish.

In my case I'm not sure the benefits are worth the risks.