METABOLIC SYNDROME--IMPORTANT INFO

Discussion in 'General Health & Wellness' started by Mikie, Jan 1, 2016.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Happy New Year, Everybody!!!

A lot of attention has been focused on metabolic syndrome in medical circles lately. It is a combination of conditions which may lead to cardiac disease and/or diabetes. The symptoms or conditions are: Obesity, especially around the middle area; Elevated blood pressure; Elevated blood sugar; Elevated triglycerides; and, Below normal HDL cholesterol (the 'good' cholesterol). If one has several of these symptoms or conditions, it is time to take action. Many docs, including my own, treat these individually but don't make the connection of how dangerous they can be when they present together. Most docs also don't try to prevent these conditions but treat them when the patient is already in danger.

In my case, I was so sick for so long that I couldn't work out so I gained weight. My weight gain was all over but more pronounced around my middle. I had high blood pressure and was taking meds for it. My blood sugar had crept up slightly each year and was 105 fasting when I had my lab work done a year ago. My cholesterol has always been good except that my 'good cholesterol' (HDL) was slightly low. In other words, I had metabolic syndrome. This is especially crucial in patients, like me, with a family history of fatal heart attacks.

I started out taking my doc's advice and doing aerobic exercise to increase my HDL. It worked and my HDL is now normal and I dropped 16 pounds in the process without any dietary changes. My doc wasn't concerned about my blood sugar but I was and cut out breads, sugar, pastries and starchy veggies. I dropped another 14 pounds. I have 10 more to go to get my body mass index (BMI) into the normal range. BMI can be calculated online on many websites by entering one's height and weight.

We are a nation of sedentary, sick and overweight people. Docs say that if we had a military draft today, half the young people would be too obese to qualify. New research is providing info on how eating sugar and the wrong kind of fats actually programs our brains to send out hunger signals so that we are never satisfied. Strangely, diet sodas can have the same effect. I have lost the desire for sweets and am satisfied with good food which is healthy. Quality protein, lots of veggies, and some fruit make for a delicious diet. I eat nuts on my cereal, in my salads and for snacks. I drink filtered water.

I will post this in several locations because I think this info is so important for all of us. I hope that by using my example of how metabolic syndrome can be reversed, others will see that they can make healthier lifestyle and health choices. BTW, I have cut my blood pressure meds in half and hope that when I lose the last 10 pounds, my blood pressure will be normal without any meds. Right now, it is perfect with only half the dose of BP meds I had been on.

I hope all y'all have a wonderful day and a Happy New Year!

Love, Mikie