metallic taste in mouth???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by bigmama2, May 19, 2009.

1. bigmama2

bigmama2 New Member

i have had a metallic taste in my mouth (in saliva) for a week now. its disgusting. its even worse when i eat-(because of more saliva). all foods taste metallic. its so annoying.

i had this once or twice before and it went away on its own- but i am getting impatient!

anyone know what this is- and how to get rid of it? anyone else have this?

thanks alot
    bigmama2
  2. butterflydream

butterflydream New Member

a change in medications ?

When my mouth gets real dry i get a metallic taste and yes it is annoying.
    Maybe drymouth?

Butterflydream
  3. satchya

satchya New Member

Last time this happened to me it turned out I had a sinus infection. Could that be what it is for you? I also had a bad headache, toothache, fatigue, etc. The nasty/metallic taste in my mouth was from the infection drainage into my mouth from the sinus cavities in my head. Gross, I know.

Just thought I'd share in case that's a possibility. You might want to get checked. Antibiotics could clear it up pretty easily.
  4. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

It may be something simple like a piece of food stuck down in your gum. Gum infections, cavities, etc. can cause a metallic taste and smell.

Floss really well, use a good mouth wash, or rinse. Have you been to the dentist lately? I only ask because my GF had that and it ended up she needed a good cleaning - and a deep root cleaning around her gums. Her main "symptom" was the metallic taste.

I'm sure it could be a few things. Google "metallic taste in mouth" and see what it comes up with.
  5. FM58

FM58 New Member

What meds are you taking?

Sometimes medications will present with a reaction even if you have been on that particular med for years. I know someone who was on Topamax (along w/ various other meds) for several years, began developing a metallic taste in her mouth. She discussed it w/ her doc. It ended up being the Topamax. She had to wean off.

Check your med list; talk to your pharmacist or one of your doctors. Good luck in figuring this out.
  6. luckyman

luckyman New Member

Seems to come and go for no apparant reason. I understand it's a pretty common symptom. Sorry I don't have any suggestions for you. It wouldn't hurt to try the ones listed by others. Let us know if you find something that works!
  7. luv2float

luv2float New Member

My Dad's kidney's are only 20% functional. The doc told me they could fail at any time. He told me to watch out for a "metallic taste" in his mouth. If I were you, I'd get to your doctor right away.

8. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

A metallic taste in the mouth can be a sign of toxin overload, especially if accompanied by feeling sick or fluish. This happened to me several years ago, my chiro who does muscle testing helped me with this.

Mary
  9. bigmama2

bigmama2 New Member

thanks for all the feedback!

i did look it up on line and there are lots of probable causes. i havent had a change in my teeth, diet, meds, sinuses, etc. the only change has been an increase in stress lately! maybe that caused it????

i did start taking zinc again.

the metallic taste is going away. thank goodness. maybe its the zinc, or maybe its just going away on its own.

thanks all- take care of yourselves-
    bigmama2
  10. andreake

andreake New Member

When there is a leak in your cerebral spinal fluid it can leave a metalic taste in your mouth. Just one more possiblility.
    I would consult with a dr.