Metamucil Anyone Take It ? Choking Warning

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by greatgran, Sep 14, 2009.

1. greatgran

greatgran Member

Thought I would try Metamucil to see if it would help with my narrow stools. When reading the warning about choking it scared me so now afraid to take it.. Any info on this.

Thanks ,
  2. greatgran

greatgran Member

Guess I am such a big old chicken.. So you two haven't had any choking problems ?? Going to try it and see if it will help.. What benefits do you get from the husk and waffers? I thought it might help my narrow stools and to where I am not going 3 to 5 times a day. Trying my darnest to avoid a colonoscopy..I have read that constipation can cause narrow stools even though I go regularly I never feel empty , go often but do little.
    Can either of you relate.

Thanks so much for your support..
  3. jasminetee

jasminetee Member

I've tried Metamucil but I didn't like it as much as Psyllium from Trader Joes or the bulk Psyllium in the health food store. You can end up with larger pieces from those two though that can occasionally get stuck in your throat a bit so it's worth looking through it before you add water and picking out any large pieces or chaff etc... I think Metamucil is ground so doubt that would happen with theirs. I think they're mostly just covering themselves in our Sue-happy country.

I drink Psyllium every day and I can't go without it. If I'm really bad I drink 2 of them a day. In my case, I do better with not following the directions but I did try that first. I discovered that what works better for me is to stir in 1 tablespoon in about 3/4 cup of water and then let it set, it gels up... then I stir it again and drink it...I add a bit more water if needed. So experiment and find what works best for you.

They say you have to drink a lot of water with it and I do, I just drink bottled water right after I drink it down. I'm constantly drinking water anyway so that may be why this method works for me. I think of it as "almost oatmeal" in consistency because it does kind of get gross looking when gelled. That works for me.

Btw, the pills with Psyllium don't work for me at all. I'm happy to hear there are wafers though. I didn't know that.

[This Message was Edited on 09/14/2009]
  4. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I have always eaten a lot of fiber but my meds. make me constipated to the point where I almost had an intestonal blockage.

I had problems with the Metamucil stuff. My doctor recommended Miralax which is the fiber plus a stool softener. I put it in my tea in the AM as it completely dissolves.

If you try it, start with a small jar as this stuff is not cheap. However, it is worth it.

Take care.

5. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

I think the thing to watch out for with high fiber products is that people with esophogus problems or swallowing problems are supposed to check with their doctors first. I think it might begin to bulk up without being swallowed completely and make you choke. I haven't explained it very well but you probably get what I mean.
  6. greatgran

greatgran Member

Thanks to each of you for your replies and info. I took the metamucil as directed and No choking (what a worry wart I am). The only thing, I did have some mild bloating and cramping but did get good results. My stools are almost back to normal so I highly recommend Metamucil. I have cut back on my dosage and no more cramping.

Needless to say I was so happy because I knew if I went to the doc he would want me to have a colonoscopy.

Thanks and God Bless,