Methadone, anyone?????

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kadywill, Sep 3, 2002.

1. kadywill

kadywill New Member

A pharmacist I work with used me as a case study and suggested I ask my Rheumy about Methadone. Now, I grew up in the 70's and I remember Methadone clinics for the junkies trying to withdraw. THIS stigma scares the harry outta me. For Vicodin to help, I hafta take three at a time; for Darvocet, I'd hafta take more than that. Oxycontin 20 mgs. helps a while, but I feel weird taking that because I still work fulltime. There HAS to be something that would help a medication-tolerant person like me. Nurses, like me, have always heard that if you take a lot of meds for pain, you become tolerant, but I've only recently taken any opiates, so what's my reason? I'm afraid that NOTHING will work. Advice????
    Be well,
    Kady
  2. kadywill

kadywill New Member

A pharmacist I work with used me as a case study and suggested I ask my Rheumy about Methadone. Now, I grew up in the 70's and I remember Methadone clinics for the junkies trying to withdraw. THIS stigma scares the harry outta me. For Vicodin to help, I hafta take three at a time; for Darvocet, I'd hafta take more than that. Oxycontin 20 mgs. helps a while, but I feel weird taking that because I still work fulltime. There HAS to be something that would help a medication-tolerant person like me. Nurses, like me, have always heard that if you take a lot of meds for pain, you become tolerant, but I've only recently taken any opiates, so what's my reason? I'm afraid that NOTHING will work. Advice????
    Be well,
    Kady
  3. MicheleF

MicheleF New Member

There was an article not to long ago by Dr. Robert Bennett on this issue. You can try a search message here for methadone, or go to the library and type in your search question there.

Take care. Michele
  4. Suze

Suze New Member

I've seen testimonials in favor of methadone on this board, but I just want to add that I've read in more than one other source that should the user become dependent upon methadone, it's harder to withdraw from than heroin.

Suze
  5. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Heres an article on Methadone for non cancer pain, hope this helps you make a decision on what you should take.

Shalom, Shirl

08-28-2002

DGDispatch
    By Peggy Peck Special to DG News

SAN DIEGO, CA -- August 23, 2002 -- Results of a retrospective chart review suggest that methadone (5-10 mg/day) is effective as a first line opioid treatment of chronic non-cancer pain, according to findings reported August 22nd at the 10th World Congress on Pain (WCP).

Steven Barna, MD, and colleagues from the Massachusetts General Hospital Pain Center and Harvard Medical School, in Boston, Massachusetts, United States, reviewed the charts of all patients who were started on oral methadone for the treatment of chronic non-cancer pain during a three-month period. They recorded age, pain aetiology, previous opioid use, starting and final doses of methadone, use of adjuvant analgesics, and visual analogue scale (VAS) scores at baseline and four weeks after starting methadone.

They identified 17 patients who were not taking any long acting opioids prior to starting methadone. Eleven were opioid-naïve, five had previously taken hydrocodone and one had previously taken propoxyphene as needed. The mean age in these 17 patients was 49.5 years, with a range of 37 to 78 years.

Starting doses of methadone were 2.5 mg twice a day in 10 patients and 5 mg twice a day in seven patients.

Mean VAS score before starting methadone was 8.5 (range 4-10). None of the patients reported side effects from methadone. Mean VAS score four weeks after starting methadone was 5.6 (range 1-8). There was a statistically significant difference in the VAS score before and after starting methadone (p<0.03).

Six patients required increases in the dose of methadone. Mean final dose in this group of patients was 20mg (range 10-40 mg) daily.

6. kadywill

kadywill New Member

I hope to make a well-informed decision....
    Love,
    Kady