Methadone for pain?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Lulu28, Aug 26, 2008.

1. Lulu28

Lulu28 New Member

HI all,

I have RA, Fibro, OA and several other things to deal with (Neuropathy, CT etc.) I saw a new PCP yesterday which is nerve-wracking enough- and she wants to put me on Methadone for longterm chronic pain. I've been on Lortab for a long time now--she does not like that med and while she gave me one refill yesterday--said she would never give me more.

I researched Methadone when I got home and it really looked like it was a scary thing to take... Death rates were listed in every article I read! And even the FDA was cautious about it.

My Rheumy doc prefers that a PCP handle my pain meds, but I am going to ask her about this at my next appt. w/her in October. I'm also on Humira, Methotrexate, Prednisone, folic acid and certain vitamins.

Anyone have experience with Methadone for pain relief? Any other thoughts?

Thanks so much--
  2. mtinash

mtinash New Member

My husband took Methadone for his pain and it was the only thing that was ever prescribed for him that actually took the pain away for any period of time. Unfortunately after about two weeks he developed an alergy to it and had to come off of it. Other than the alergy, which caused him to itch all over he did not have any problems with it.
  3. mylilcherub428

mylilcherub428 New Member

on methadone for pain I was scared at first too. But I think you just have to take it the right way any of these meds can be dangerous if u take too much or drink with them

It keeps being able to function the only thing is when I first started it the dose was too high so it was lowered. I seem to have built a tolerance quickly and wish I had just taken less and put the extra aside. I hate asking to go up on meds

It's different for everyone tolerance may not be as much of an issue for me my only worry is getting off it but at this point I am not sure I could ever be without pain meds.

I think it is worth atry I do not regret getting on it it is a big help I have a 4 yr old and babysit another no way I could do it without the methadone Still have ruff days but they are much less often now and not as bad-Kim