Methadone or Duragesic patch?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by blast, Oct 1, 2002.

1. blast

blast New Member

Well I have been missing these boards for awhile and have finally gotten a chance to come back!!
    My question about the two meds mentioned is Is one better than the other. Pros, cons about either?
    I have had fibro for 5 yrs now and have had a flare that never ended. The docs are having a hard time getting my pain under control, and have mentioned the two drugs above.
    I'm a little nervous about both of them, but need pain control in order to live a life that is worth living.
    I am currently on oxycontin 40mgs, three times a day, and that is starting to not help as much. However, it is a great pain control drug, but with all the bad publicity it scares me too death!!
    Well let me know what you all think, or if anyone uses either of these drugs.
    thanks
    Blast
  2. blast

blast New Member

Well I have been missing these boards for awhile and have finally gotten a chance to come back!!
    My question about the two meds mentioned is Is one better than the other. Pros, cons about either?
    I have had fibro for 5 yrs now and have had a flare that never ended. The docs are having a hard time getting my pain under control, and have mentioned the two drugs above.
    I'm a little nervous about both of them, but need pain control in order to live a life that is worth living.
    I am currently on oxycontin 40mgs, three times a day, and that is starting to not help as much. However, it is a great pain control drug, but with all the bad publicity it scares me too death!!
    Well let me know what you all think, or if anyone uses either of these drugs.
    thanks
    Blast
  3. achy

achy New Member

I too thought like you. I tried the oxy and it really helped and I had no side effects, but worried about the bad publicity I switched to methadone. The Medthadone gave me terrible headaches and constipation really bad. It didn't help the pain near as well as the Oxy.I have not tried the patch.
    I did a lot of reading around the web and realized Oxy is one of the highest rated pain meds for Fibro and reported by patients, not doctors! (www. remedyfind.com neat info)
    I decided that if we don't take the Oxy the neg publicity won't change. We need to use it and report how much it helps people that truely need it. Give it some good publicity. Don't let the druggies take away something that helps!
    As far as your safety, just don't tell anyone your taking it, and remove the label from the bottle before throwing it away.
    Hope this help[s
    Achy
  4. Katseye

Katseye New Member

I was on Methadone for chronic pain two years. I don't think I laughed or experienced true joy once during this time. It diminished my entire personality. All my passions were gone. I was hollow in spirit. I gained 60 lbs., was chronically constipated, woke with daily headaches,cried daily, lost friends because I acted irratic, and felt deeply depressed.
    I finally decided to come off. This was undoubtably the worst time in my entire life. The pain was unbarable. It felt as though I was injected with battery acid. The doctor did inform me Methadone, unlike other narcotics, is stored in the bone marrow.(?) I won't bore you with the ill symptoms, but the pain was off the scale. Of course in time it improved, but it took a good six months. Occaisionally I still felt the withdrawls two years later.
    This is my experience. Perhaps it's helped others, but it's something to reconsider. My advice is there are better choices for chronic pain, especailly FM, which I also have.
    I switch meds back and forth every few weeks, when the tolerance builds. Ask your doc if this method could work for you.
    Best of luck and health![This Message was Edited on 10/01/2002]
  5. Lynda B.

Lynda B. New Member

My pain spec. said they are getting some initial reports that oxycontin users are needing more and more of the med as months to years go by with that med. I used oxycontin for a long time. I finally had to switch when I got up to 80 mg. every eight hours. I have tried the Duragesic patch. It gave me a headache and I, personally found it to be a pain to keep on with my dry skin. Many people find wonderful relief from the patch, though. Always worth a try. They last three days so it is an easy drug to start and stop at any time.

I am on methadone now but also taking other meds. It is worth a try too. This, I would say to give a while--a couple of weeks. The oxycontin is in your system and the methadone would need to come in a start to work. You might have a few days of confusion as to what was doing what. Methadone is NOT suppose to be as constipating as oxycontin if that matters. It is usually given every 12 hours and often with breakthru pain meds. I would be open to anything. Your body will react how it sees fit regardless of how mine or anybody else's does. I am sure you have seen that. What works for one of use drives the other crazy. Follow what is good for you and your body and life style.

Take care,

Lynda B.