Methadone Treatment for Chronic Pain

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Merenwentari, Sep 5, 2008.

1. Merenwentari

Merenwentari New Member

My Pain Management doctor has prescribed 10 mg Methadone 2x daily for my pain.

I need to know if anyone else has been prescribed this medicine, and if so, how it has worked for you?

Thank you in advance,

2. AnneTheresa

AnneTheresa Member

Hi Meren,

I used methadone for 2+ years and it was by far, the best pain relief I'd experienced. The only reason I stopped was because (sadly) my pain management doctor passed away and I haven't been able to find another doctor in my area who has a license to prescribe this medication.

It was not difficult to stop using it. I weaned off slowly and had no withdrawal symptoms.

The side-effects were about the same as with other narcotics, constipation, drowsy at first, etc.

From my own experience, I'd highly recommend methadone for people with severe pain.

God bless,
    Anne Theresa
  3. gennief

gennief New Member

I've been on methadone 10mg since Feb. It seems to work well, I only take it for break-through pain or flare-ups now. I take 800mg. of gabapentin with a oxycodone Between dosages to keep the pain at bay. I'll be changing the oxycodone for malic acid and magneseium when it arrives. My fingers are crossed so I can get off narcotics unless I'm in a flare-up.Hope this helps.
  4. BlueSky555

BlueSky555 New Member

I've been on methadone fof several years and they help me very much. I'm on 20 mgs. every 8 hrs.

It has worked fine for me. I hope it will do the same for you.

5. Lazy_Susan

Lazy_Susan New Member

I'm reluctant to tell you this b'c I'm no doctor.

I was on methadone for a year and a half--10 mg daily x 2. It changed my life. I was able to do the things I used to. I lost weight b'c I was walking again, I had little to no pain and on the side of vanity, I got my looks back. Then, I found out that my brother--who had died a year earlier--died from complications to methadone months after he was taken off of it. It's said to be harmful to your heart and his just stopped at the age of 47.

So, I let myself run out. Big fat mistake. I withdrawaled like a heroin addict. In fact, it's harder to get off than heroine, that much is a true. I ended up in the ER with withdrawals and had to go back on the methadone. I got a 30 day supply and weened myself off it very carefully--myself--something that's said you can't do by yourself. It took 4 months the way I did it but I didn't withdrawal that way. I never want to experience that again as long as I live.

Also, when I was completely clean, detoxed, I found I was experiencing feelings I hadn't felt in so long b'c I was sort of numbed from the medicine, even at that low dose. Not to mention it slowly shuts your insides down.

Anyway, I'm still not taking anything for pain and I have horrible days--the longest flare-up being these past 4 months. But I'd rather live with the pain than take methadone ever again. I'm trying to find a doctor who will help me without putting me on that again. I wish you the best and hope you can find an alternative to methadone. This is one medication I firmly believe should be banned. If you want more info on it, I can give it to you. It's from a doctor works solely to get people off it.