METHODONE/Methadone Alert.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by BILLCAMO, Jun 27, 2008.

BILLCAMO New Member

However you spell it , I just read something on another forum about this pain med I thought I should share. That forum covers people with many disabilities.

Recently , two unrelated ladies with Fibro passed away in their sleep. They had been put on Methodone for their pain. They both had developed some breathing problems after starting this med and both of their Drs. had upped their dosages anyway. Shortly thereafter , they both were gone.

Even though their autopsies are not finalized yet , the preliminaries indicated that they may have died from respitatory failure. In both cases , family members believe that Methodone was at least a large contributing factor in their deaths.

Even though all the facts are not in yet , I felt the need to relay this info. Forewarned could save a life.

Blessings ,

[This Message was Edited on 06/27/2008]
  2. jaba520

jaba520 New Member

is scary thanks for the info
  3. jaime13

jaime13 New Member

I take methadone and my Dr. put me on a machine that checks my breathing if it drops below a certain point it beeps and wakes me up. So I can start breathing again.Insurance pays for it.Methadone works well for me.jaime
  4. Pansygirl

Pansygirl New Member

thanks for letting us know that information~ I'm new to all the medications so I'm glad for all and any news to help make a better informed decision for my pain.
  5. callia1

callia1 New Member

That is awful to hear. There has been a lot of concern since Anna Nicole Smith and her son died with Methadone in their systems. Like any long term opiate, there are risks. That is why it is important to be in constant contact with your doctor and tell him about all supplements, vitamins, and medications you are taking. Methadone builds up in your body over time and that is the risk (you don't immediately overdose).

But, if you look at the actual research, oxycontin or Opana ER is and has far more risks to it than Methadone. In most countries besides the US, Methadone is widely used for long term pain management. The reason is that it has very low long term side effects providing the user is following doctors advice and cluing him into ALL things they are taking.

The reason for my concern, is that my husband has a spinal cord injury that he is on methadone and has been on a very LOW dose for over four years now. For him it works much better than oxycontin. He hasn't had to up his dose like you do with oxycontin either.

I am sorry to hear of their deaths but it sounds like the doctor is at fault and maybe they could have over taken or combined the methadone with something else (sleeping meds, muscle relaxers). Over 82% of all methadone deaths are due to combining it with benzo's or accidental overdose (forgetting and taking too much). It has been used since 1964 in the US. Safety in all things though....
  6. mompain

mompain Guest

I have recently been put on Methadone for pain and it has been a wonder drug so far. I hate to hear something like you have said because it has helped me so much. I am on the lowest dosage 3 times a day and go back July 7th for the doctor to reevaluate how I am doing on it. I am going to ask about the issues that you brought up and see what he says about it. It is a worry for me because I would like to live for many more years if it is God's will.

Again, thank you for the warning and I will be checking on this with my pain doc.

BILLCAMO New Member

from the "Anti-Drug Mania" that seems to be a problem in much of this country. What works for one may not for another.

IMHO , both of these instances border on Dr. error. If a patient is at least aware of the risk , they can ask their Dr. to check it out. Blind trust can be harmful.

As far as "Anti-Drug Mania" , I'm fairly familiar with it. In my state , Medicinal MJ is legal. I've done enough research to make me consider its use for my pain.

But , at least where I am , Drs. don't seem to be open to this approach. On the other side of this state , they are open to many more options including that one. Here they are hesitant to RX any pain meds.....

Blessings ,

(Had to edit due to brain
    [This Message was Edited on 06/28/2008]
  8. mompain

mompain Guest

I have really appreciated reading everyone's answers and questions about Methadone. The comments about the 2 ladies dying in their sleep is very scary. I wonder what would make one aware of something happening to cause this.

Personally, I love the way that it is controlling my pain level, but I am am very concerned about its effects. I do stay in close contact with my doctor and do not take anything without his knowledge. (When I say anything, I mean Tylenol or any over the counter meds at all.) He told me to always call before taking anthing so that he could be aware of what was happening and to be sure that it would not react to anything else that I am now taking.

If anyone has anymore comments or suggestions about this med, please post them. I would appreciate it and am very worried about this medication's side effects.
  9. simonedb

simonedb Member

does anyone know if ldn helps with pain as well as methadone and if ldn has any of the breathing risks like methadone?

so what states are progressive with pain and cfs etc rx anyway? let me know and I will consider moving.
  10. BlueSky555

BlueSky555 New Member

Yes, I agree that this is scary. There were 2 girls that I knew that recently died in their sleep. I had heard that the both of them were on drugs. I have no idea what kind, how many, etc. They didn't know each other; it just happened that way.

I'm on this methadone and what I like about it is that it doesn't make me feel "druggy"; I feel normal besides the pain and it does help. I have asked my doctor several times, is this drug safe. His response was yes, if you take it as directed and do not take any more.

I had also heard the scary stories of oxycontin, which I'm sure you all have heard. I had a choice of the oxycontin or methadone and I chose the methadone.

Thank you for this important information.

11. jmq

jmq New Member

I think it is time to up my anti depressant...when I read about the ladies dying in their first thought was...oh, what a nice way to go!

I am in constant pain over the last month and starting to loose it. I take Tramadol and Vicoden...not at the same time but within 4 or 5 hours of each other. I also take Ambien and Soma along with the pain pills.

I guess we all should be more careful...its just soooo hard to cope with pain 24/7