Methylation protocol and breastfeeding

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by julianz, Aug 5, 2012.

1. julianz

julianz New Member

I have had some blood tests which show an increased level of serum folate, but normal B12. From reading on these boards I am wondering if I could have a functional B12 deficiency causing the folate to come out of my cells, does that sound right?
    I am thinking maybe my methylation pathway might need some support but because I'm in NEw Zealand I don't know if I can get the lab work done to confirm this. Can I safely do the basic protocol without testing?
    Also, I am currently breastfeeding my one year old. Is it safe to do this protocol while breastfeeding or would I have to wait until I stop?
    Thank you do much for any help!
  2. richvank

richvank New Member

Hi, julianz.

No studies have been done to see whether it is safe to do the methylation protocol while breastfeeding. One concern I would have is that the methylation protocol will improve the function of the detoxication system, and perhaps that could result in mobilizing toxins, some of which might enter breast milk. This is just a possibility. I have no evidence to base this on.

I'm not able to say whether you have a functional B12 deficiency or not, based on the information you reported.

I think that you could have the methylation pathways panel and the glutathione panel run by the European Laboratory of Nutrients. I know that people in Australia have FedExed their blood samples there, on ordinary ice (not dry ice) and the analysis has worked out O.K.

Best regards,