Methylation/yasko supplements and taurine

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sophiekk, Mar 29, 2007.

1. sophiekk

sophiekk New Member

So I've been taking the methylation supplements from holisticheal.com, according to the Yasko protocol. And I have been feeling quite a bit better. I'm up to a full tablet of the B12 and all 6 pills of the multivitamin (it's called complete neurological health formula). Then I read the label, and it contains taurine - which is helpful, but is also the stimulant in Red Bull, I think.

Is the taurine just masking my fatigue, like caffeine or ginseng? (I had a bad experience with large doses of ginseng from a TCM practitioner - I felt great and did a lot every day, but my tests kept going downhill, and I'd get really tired if I missed a dose...)
  2. Catseye

Catseye Member

Taurine is a non essentail sulfur containing amino acid. Along with methionine and cysteine, other amino acids, they are a good source of sulfur. Taurine is found mostly in meat and fish but a normal, healthy body will be able to synthesize it.

So don't worry about taurine being a stimulant. It is something your body needs to function and is found in food, unlike ginseng, which is an herb.

best wishes,

karen
    [This Message was Edited on 03/30/2007]
  3. AllWXRider

AllWXRider New Member

It a non-essential amino acid, so the body can manf it but in us CFS/FM ppl, many things are amiss. It helps the body make cysteine.

My son drinks Red Bull (Latin "Bull" = Taurus). It has 27 grams of sugar.

"Viruses breathe sugar" says Dr. William Wong, so it may flare up the root cause of your problem. Sugar flares up Candida too.

If you can find Taurine by itself, you'll be much better off.

Ginseng is a vaso-constrictor stimulant. We need rest, our body heals itself when we rest.

My CFS is due to metal toxicity. A hair analysis found Lead, Cadmium, Antimony & Arsenic. After 14 rounds of chelation, I'm feeling better and my memory / concentration is improving.
  4. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

What improvements have you noted since starting the methylation supplements?

Have you had detox-type reactions too?

Thanks!

Best, lisa
  5. acer2000

acer2000 New Member

Doesn't red bull have Caffine and testosterone in it, among other things? That could account for its stimulating properties. :)
  6. sophiekk

sophiekk New Member

Sorry, to clarify, I don't drink Red Bull - it's gross! The taurine is in the supplements.

Googling doesn't reveal a wealth of information on it, but some people do concur that it acts as a central nervous system stimulant: "it inhibits the release of norepinephrine and acetylcholine, stimulates the release of gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA), and increases the production of serotonin and melatonin by stimulating the activity of N-acetyltransferase."

I do feel buzzy after taking 3 tablets, to the extent that I have trouble sleeping. Aside from that, no herx or detox-type reactions, but then I'm not particularly sensitive to meds and have never experienced a real herx, so I'm not the best person to report.
  7. sophiekk

sophiekk New Member

Lisa, I've noticed that my brainfog has lifted quite a bit (sublingual B12 helps too), and I have more physical energy - I've actually worked for three days straight. Of course, today I'm back in my PJs and I got tired from just washing my hair, so no magic bullet yet!
  8. deliarose

deliarose New Member

are u doing the folapro and intrinsic B12 as well?
  9. sophiekk

sophiekk New Member

Yes, I'm up to one tablet of each daily. I also take another sublingual B12 (from prohealth).
  10. richvank

richvank New Member

Hi, Sophiekk.

I'm glad to hear that this treatment approach is helping you. You may find that you will need to decrease your dosages some if the detox really gets going, because it can make you feel pretty crummy. Amy Yasko doesn't recommend going higher than one quarter of a tablet of either the intrinsic/B12/folate or the FolaPro.

Rich
  11. sophiekk

sophiekk New Member

Thanks, Rich. I've been taking the supplements for about 3 weeks and haven't noticed any detox symptoms at all. Should I expect them to happen later in the process?
  12. richvank

richvank New Member

Hi, sophiekk.

Are you taking all the supplements in the simplified methylation cycle block treatment? You mentioned the B12 and the general supplement. How about the folates?

Rich
  13. richvank

richvank New Member

Sorry, I see that you already said that! I move around so much I forget what each person has said!

O.K., so you're taking pretty hefty dosages of all the supplements in the short list and haven't noticed any detox. That's interesting. I'm wondering how long you've been ill, and whether you have done any testing to get an idea of what your toxic loads might be.

Assuming that you have significant loads of toxins, as most PWCs seem to have, then I would have to suspect that these dosages have not yet gotten your methylation cycle going. I still wouldn't suggest going higher on the folates, but you might raise the dosage on the B12 by a factor of 2 or 3, and if that doesn't work, try switching to methyl B12, starting lower on it.

Rich
  14. sophiekk

sophiekk New Member

No problem, Rich, & thanks again for your response! I've been sick for 3 years with HHV6 IGG around 320, rectivated EBV, and lots of mineral deficiencies. I'll try upping the B12 and report back.
  15. acuario

acuario New Member

Hi Karen. I have a question, I red one of your posts one about nuerotransmitters, and you say that when you read a lot you get brain fog and can't concentrate more to continue reading. that happen to me and was wondering what was the cause? I could't read for a little while, because I could't consentrate and understand and felt my ears ringing and hot in my inner ears.

So fixing the Neurotransmitters can help this?? thank you so much. acuario
  16. richvank

richvank New Member

17. richvank

richvank New Member

18. richvank

richvank New Member

19. desertlass

desertlass New Member

"it inhibits the release of norepinephrine and acetylcholine, stimulates the release of gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA), and increases the production of serotonin and melatonin by stimulating the activity of N-acetyltransferase."

Hi,

This thread might already be finished, but I noticed something interesting in that the description reads that it increases GABA release, which is what sedatives do, and then I looked at my GABA calm supplement and it has taurine in it in the form of magnesium taurinate.

I also noticed that the description of what it does includes melatonin as well. I don't know what any of this means, if my supplement is of any use, but I just thought I'd throw that out for anyone who wants to ponder this mysterious little multi-tasking yin/yang amino acid.

Glad to hear you're feeling better.
    Lisette
  20. Catseye

Catseye Member

Sorry I missed your question 2 weeks ago! I've just been so busy lately, getting my life back and all. I don't have this issue anymore since I can read all day long again!

After trying to narrow down the brain fog, inability to read and cognitive disturbances issue for a long time, I determined it all came down to inadequate neurotransmitters in the brain. By then, I knew we were all deficient in nutrients, which is how this all starts, so I just started looking up what the brain and body need to build neurotransmitters. And the most important things besides the regular vitamins and minerals are the amino acids I listed.

The only thing is, though, you have to treat your whole body at the same time. That means cleaning up diet and so on. (see my what worked for me on page 3) If you just try one set of supps for something and you still have major deficiencies in vitamins and minerals and other aminos AND you are still eating poorly, you may not see a difference. Take the shotgun approach and do EVERYTHING healthy that you possibly can all at once. The body will fix itself if you give it time and what it needs. It's slow going but the alternative is slowly wasing away from the inside out of your mind and body. I have gotten rid of all my bad habits and have a new life. I don't miss the old one. I feel like I have a second chance at life and I just woke up into it. It's wonderful.

best wishes,

karen