MICHELLE Z. QUESTION ABOUT EPADORAL

Discussion in 'General Health & Wellness' started by 1952, Feb 6, 2004.

1. 1952

1952 New Member

HI MICHELLE MY NAME IS GAIL.IM ALWAYS IN THE LUPUS ROOM,I CAME IN HERE AND READ ABOUT EPADORAL AND YOUR REMARKS, I HAD 2 SHOTS,THE SECOND,SCREW UPMY LEFT SIDE,ESP.MY LEFT FOOT,I HAVE PERCIAPAL NEUROPATHY,BUT BECAUSE OF THE SHOT,INTO THE SPINE,MADE THE NERVE WORSE, MY QUESTIOIN IS MY DR WANTS TO OPERATE ON MY SPINE AND FUSE IT, DID YOUR EVER HAD THIS DONE,AND IF SO,WHATS THE PROCEDURE,AND PAIN I REALLY APPRECIATE YOUR ANSWER

GAIL A/K/A 1952
  2. Michelle Z.

Michelle Z. New Member

Sorry, I'm soo long in getting to your post.

I don't know what Perciapal Neuropathy is but will try to look it up.

My spine has been fused together from L4 to S1. It started from having a ruptured disk and subsequent surgeries that cause an infection to the surgery site that developed into celluitis and continued onto osteomyelitis (bone infection).

The area of my spine where the infection had been was for lack of a better way to explain it was dead and had literally no real support of its own.

My fusion was done back in 1988. I don't really know if it was FDA approved at that time. It is now. With me they used bone from a kadabber (sp) (donated bone), when it was put in it was the consistency of putty. It was hard for the surgeon to determine if she was putting too much in or too little.

In my case it was just right to almost too little. I don't get any pressure from it on any of my nerves. Too much could have really aggravated the nerves and would of had to of been trimed down.

I don't understand why the doctor wants to put something there that "may" aggravate your nerve that is already giving you a fit without trying to calm that nerve down first.

Have you ever had any back surgeries before??? Especially in that area???

Have you not only had a second opinion what about a third, or twentith???

I'm not trying to scare you at all about this possible procedure. I just think you have too many unanswered questions that MUST be addressed before you have anything as perminent as a fusion.

A fusion limits your mobility a good bit. At least mine has. I just recently (last fall) overexerted my back at work. I am in Physical Therapy 3 times a week and having trigger point injections to try to get my muscles to reaccept the fusion.

Please, please ask this doctor tons of quesitons and after you've put him through the wringer go get a second or third opinion!!! This is extremely important to do. Don't let him/her bully you into to doing anything until YOU ARE TOTALLY COMFORTABLE!!!

I'm always around during the week...weekends I don't always have the chance to check in.

You may be able to Google for some answers too. I wish you all the luck and much success!

All the Best!

Meesee / Michelle Z.
  3. 1952

1952 New Member

I WILL LOOK INTO IT, THERE ARE ALOT OF QUESTIONS THAT I NEED ANSWER, I JUST MIGHT WAIT UNTIL I CANT WALK NO MORE, YOU SEE THE NERVES IN THE LEFT LEG ARE GOING NUMB WHEN I WALK, AND I DO WANT TO WALK, BUT I HAVE A APPT. WITH MY LUPUS DR AND NEURO. AND I REALLY APPRECIATE YOU GETTING BACK TO ME, BOY YOU REALLY WENT THROUGH HELL. HOPE YOUR FEELING BETTER. AND AGAIN THANKS

GAIL
  4. Michelle Z.

Michelle Z. New Member

Yes, I've been to H3@@ and back with all this. I'd like to hope you'll get enough answers to avoid any additional complications in the future.

I use to get that horrible shooting nerve pain down my left leg. Like a lightening bolt shooting down it.

After just aggravating it at work it is now my right hip that is getting bad.

What does your Lupus doctor think about the fusion or does he even know yet??? Perhaps, he may be able to recommend someone else for a second opinion regarding the fusion.

Just don't do anything unless YOU are comfortable with every aspect of what the results will be and the prognoses for the future. Don't let them get away with saying, "we can't predict the future." Run...see someone else. Because they should certainly better have an idea how they are going to leave you feeling!

You didn't mention...What back troubles are you having??? Have you had surgery before. Is it just the nerve hurting you or is a disk involved also??? Yes, I know, I'm nosey!

Please be careful!

All the Best!

Meesee
  5. 1952

1952 New Member

I didnt talk tomy lupus dr. yet i see him next wed. his brother is a ortho. i had him already for knee surgerys and i dont like him,no bedside manners,and his wife runs the office and she is a bi--h. so i heard so many good stories on this ortho, and he did my knee surgery, and like him alot and his office staff, i have hernitaed(sp) disk in next and lumbar. the epadoral shots didnt work,the second made it worse, so the foot is getting worse,with the nerve problems that i have in both lower legs,so i also will see my neuro.,and see what he has to say,i know what my problem is im going to be layup for a while, and im to hyper,i work out all the time.so if i wait for the sping then i can go for a walk or something,i talk to a girl the other day, and she had fusion and swears by it. but with lupus,so many problems could happen, bacterial infection,long long time recovery,etc. but im researching this whole thing,or just wait until,i cant walk,i have degerated bone diease,and nerve problem in the spine,all fromlupus.
    so well see,ill keep you posted,im always inthe lupus chat room, and i thank you very much for your help

gail
  6. Michelle Z.

Michelle Z. New Member

I must admit I don't know anything about Lupus.. But, it sure sounds like it is a major factor for you to consider before another surgery.

Most of my surgeries were done by a neuro sugeon. My fusion was done by an orthopedic surgeon. She did it 1988 and it was fantastic until last fall when I over did it at work. So, I've been very fortunate with mine lasting over 15 years!

I'm just hoping the therapy and injections will bring it back to better range of motion.

Please do keep me updated. I wish you all the best!

Meesee