Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by budmickl, Feb 15, 2008.

1. budmickl

budmickl New Member

I put my Mick down this afternoon.

He was 14 yrs old, and his quality of life had diminished to the point of keeping him alive would have abuse.

I'm doing OK, I haven't hit the xanax yet and it's been 2 1/2 hrs. The hardest part was leaving him at Rolling Acres for cremation. He isn't hurting any more.

Thank you in advance for understanding and being patient with me as I struggled with this decision over the last few months.

Now Sam is an only child but he will be fine. He is such a cutie!

2. ckball

ckball New Member

I am so sorry, I know how hard this has been for you but you did the right thing for him. I have had to do it once and he was only a year old kittie, then I lost my 15 yo cat 2 years ago.

They are like our children and give us their unconditional love and you gave that love back to him by letting him go. The right thing isn't always the easiest, you know have a new angel watching out for you-take care and be good to yourself, you deserve it-Carla
  3. sisland

sisland New Member

Oh Hon i'm Sorry! it's so hard to have to deal with them when they get sick and don't come out of it!!,,,,,You did your best to Give him as good a life as possible!,,,,,,Thinking of you!,,,,,,,,,Hugs!,,,,Sis P.S. I'm Glad you have Sam there!
  4. jewels920

jewels920 New Member

I'm so sorry for your loss.

5. mezombie

mezombie Member

You did the right thing.

You will be sad, but the pain will lessen as time goes by. And you have Sam, who will comfort you as you comfort him.

I'm so glad you have a long weekend to mourn for Mick.

I feel for you. I really do.

Take care, my friend,
  6. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

I am so sorry to hear about having to put your sweet dog down. What a terrible decision you had to make but know it was for the best.

My daughter, #3 had to put down her kitty Maxi who was about 13-14 years old down about a year ago. She had him before she was married. When they get so bad you just have no choice. It is horrible to see the suffer every day, even if you keep hoping that somehow they will get better. Another daughter, #1 had to put down their sweet puppy who had a tumor. It was terrible but now they have another pup and two cats. Darcy was my granddaughters dog and slept on her bed and all. It was so hard on her. However, now they have another to love.

Even if you do decide to get another , I am sure Mick will be with you and in your heart forever. It is probably to early to think of that and that is your decision.

Just know you did do the right thing even though your heart is breaking right now. You are in my thoughts and prayers today.

Hugs and blessings,

[This Message was Edited on 02/15/2008]
  7. doloresf1

doloresf1 New Member

I'm very sorry for the loss of your dear pet. Hugs, doloresf1
  8. kjade

kjade New Member

I'm very sorry for your loss.....I know how much it hurts. It is such an empty feeling. And you are so right...he is not hurting anymore.

He has crossed the Rainbow Bridge. Have you ever heard that poem? Someone sent it to me when my dog passed - it is such a beautiful poem. Someone also posted it to me on the depression board when I lost my chinchilla.

You seem like you are ok with your decision, which is good. But still....it is so hard. I am sending you a big huge tight hug right now. I hope you can feel it.
    [This Message was Edited on 02/15/2008]
  9. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

I know how difficult this decision was for you.

You went above and beyond what most people would do for your beloved pet. Mick knew that, I'm sure.

Take time to grieve, to heal, we do understand.

10. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

it's a terribly difficult decision to make but you've done the right thing, to keep Mick alive would have been cruel.

I lost my two old dogs and my 18 year old cat within 3 years and I still miss them. I still feel them here with me especially my Rosie.

Sam will miss Mick too but you can help each other through this.

11. budmickl

budmickl New Member

Thank you everyone for your support and kind words. Mick is in a much better place, for sure.

I am doing surprisingly well considering my loss. Of course, while going through the process yesterday, I thought I'd die myself. But after coming home and crying for about an hour, I just stopped and said "Mick isn't crying anymore, so why should I?"

It's strange not to see him gingerly making his way from one room to another, or not hear him hollering for me when he is lost and stuck in a corner somewhere. But with Bud by his side again, I have a feeling they are both catching up on times missed and will think of me kindly.

Sam is doing OK so far too. I hope he stays that way - Mick never really played with him, Mick was already on the decline when Sam came here. He certainly got a double dose of hugs and kisses last night in bed though!

Bless all of you, I don't know what I'd do without your support.

(Hum... do I need to change my screen name since BUD and MICK are both gone? LOL!!)

12. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

I'm so very glad to hear that you are moving through it.

I am always struck by how remarkable the love of a good dog is. Were it not, we certainly would not knowingly go through this over and over again.

We both know it really is worth all of this pain. Few things are but this is.

Peace to you,
  13. budmickl

budmickl New Member

I think that is what makes it so hard to make these decisions.

For me, Mick has been the longest constant in my life, other than my kids. And they can be questionable sometimes! You know what I mean though.

But now it's Sam's turn to go through the next 12 yrs with me! He is already 2 yrs old. So if I get to be his friend as long as I was with Mick, then I have 12 yrs still. YEAH!

14. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

I didn't know what you were going through or your dear Mick, but I wanted to express my sympathy. It is such a difficult thing to lose a part of the family! Take solace in the fact that from the little I know of you, I am SURE you have him a wonderful life full of love. What more could a pet want?
    Hold your little Sam and give each other comfort during this difficult time.
  15. lptopcat

lptopcat New Member

So sorry to hear of your loss. You made a hard decision, but the best one for Mick. God Bless you and yours and of course, Sam.

16. fivesue

fivesue New Member

So hard to say goodbye to our wonderful furbabies.

I hope you are doing OK and glad you have Sam around right now.

Hang in there.

17. budmickl

budmickl New Member

The name remains the same. They (Bud and Mick) are too much a part of who I am to change names!

And I am doing surprisingly good - not really crying much at all. I'm sure that is a sign that Mick is happy and running with Bud, Tiny, Miller and Sampson.

All is good in the BUDMICKL household. ;

Sam has found out how warm and cozy it is to lay next to me when I'm watching TV, and hopefully, he will realize he will get more 'together time' if he would lay in my lap while I'm at the computer. Although, I seem to be spending less time in front of the computer - at least not 45 min out of each hour is here.

Everyone here is so dear to me, I'd never just leave!

18. kjade

kjade New Member

I found this poem that I found comforting when I lost my dog - I hope it comforts you too.

The Last Battle

If it should be that I grow frail and weak
    And pain should keep me from my sleep,
    Then will you do what must be done,
    For this -- the last battle -- can't be won.

You will be sad I understand,
    But don't let grief then stay your hand,
    For on this day, more than the rest,
    Your love and friendship must stand the test.

We have had so many happy years,
    You wouldn't want me to suffer so.
    When the time comes, please, let me go.

Take me to where to my needs they'll tend,
    Only, stay with me till the end
    And hold me firm and speak to me
    Until my eyes no longer see.

I know in time you will agree
    It is a kindness you do to me.
    Although my tail its last has waved,
    From pain and suffering I have been saved.

Don't grieve that it must be you
    Who has to decide this thing to do;
    We've been so close -- we two -- these years,
    Don't let your heart hold any tears.

-- Unknown

I also have this poem framed with a picture of my dog who died.

The time has come to cross the Rainbow Bridge.
    You see I have a new master now, his name is God.

I want to Thank You for your love and commitment all those years.

Although I'm not physically there, my spirit is. I'll be by God's side now, watching over you and protecting you as always and being your faithful companion.

19. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

It's hard to believe that it is Sunday and that you got through Friday and Saturday, isn't it. We carry on. We put one foot in front of the other. It always amazes me how we do that.

Peace to you and yours,
  20. fibromickster

fibromickster New Member

Oh budmickl, i am so sorry. I know how you feel and it is one of the worst things to have to go through. I sure am glad that you have Sam, and Sam has you.

God Bless and you are in my prayers