Mid afternoon crash

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by 4mylabs, Nov 17, 2002.

1. 4mylabs

4mylabs New Member

Hi all

I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions with what I call - the 4:00 afternoon relapse. I have been doing pretty well in managing my CFS but always around this hour I tend to get really exhausted and sometimes am down for the night. Does anyone have any suggestions on what might help this? It is really fustrating when I have been feeling pretty well all day then BOOM - the fatigue sets in.

Thanks

Julie
  2. 4mylabs

4mylabs New Member

Hi all

I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions with what I call - the 4:00 afternoon relapse. I have been doing pretty well in managing my CFS but always around this hour I tend to get really exhausted and sometimes am down for the night. Does anyone have any suggestions on what might help this? It is really fustrating when I have been feeling pretty well all day then BOOM - the fatigue sets in.

Thanks

Julie
  3. teach6

teach6 New Member

First, let me welcome you to the board. As for your crashing every afternoon, it sounds to me like your body is trying to tell you something. In my opinion you may find it helpful if you try resting twice a day, for a minimum of 15 minutes each time. This should be once in the morning and once in the afternoon, in a quiet place without distractions (TV, radio, phone) and you should have your eyes closed.

If you find this to be helpful, continue it, or adapt it to suit your circumstances. I know I need to rest every day. Yesterday due to a late running support group meeting I missed my afternoon nap and I have been really feeling it today and probably will tomorrow as well.

Barbara
  4. Stormy214

Stormy214 New Member

Hugs and prayers for you, dear. The same thing happens to me, and at about 4 as well. I take 500 mg ephedra extract at about 3:00 (available at any health food store or pharmacy), but I do want to caution you that what works for one person does not work for another! I have tried things that other people have "sworn" by, and they made me worse. Our bodies react so differently! And I should mention I have FM, not CFS. Even so, my fatigue is just AWFUL most of the time, whether from dealing with the chronic pain or from undiagnosed CFS, I have no clue. I manage to get to work most days, get home by a quarter of 4, hit the sofa/heating pad, and I'm done if I don't take the ephreda. And whether or not it does more harm than good in the long run....well, your guess is as good as mine. It has been suggesteed to me that I should listen to my body and rest....*shrug* I hope this helps, and my prayers are with you.
    Stormy
  5. tandy

tandy New Member

Everyday between 2-4pm.I hate feeling this way!!! So I've given in a long time ago and take a nap for an hr each day~I wake up just in time for my kids coming home from school and that starts shift 2!(my first shift starts at 6:45am) But do ya know how many times I get my B**s broke b/c I take naps?!I've had people drop in unexpectedly while i'm laying down in the afternoon.You should hear the comments!!"why are you sleeping at 2 in the afternoon?" or how bout this one,"I don't wanna work today,I wanna be like Tracey".......pretty stinking rude huh?(like being me is fun or easy?)I wish they could be like me-in every sort of the way!!every ache,everytime I feel like my brain is going against me and don't recall things,etc.
    Your not alone on this one either~and I have'nt found anything to help...except to catnap.
    Love,
    Tracey
    Sorry Julie I could'nt be of more help.But WELCOME!!
    I hope to hear more from you,stick around~[This Message was Edited on 11/17/2002]
  6. karen2002

karen2002 New Member

contact your physician before starting new meds --natural/herbal supplements etc. Using rx and natural stimulants can be hazardous to those with high blood pressure, and those predisposed to cardiac problems an increased risk of stroke.
    karen
  7. phenom

phenom New Member

i have a nanna nap - well thats what i call them - every day! half an hour, or an hour if i'm really tired and it'll give me a boost. but i think the other suggestions are a bit better! good luck.

phenom
  8. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Hi Julie, welcome to the board. Can't help with CFS, but I do crash at about 2pm, so I learned to simply take a nap at this time, and after an hour or so I feel a lot better for the rest of the day. But I have Fibro, so there is a difference here.

Glad you got so many responses, hope someone could help!

Again, a big welcome to our world.

Shalom, Shirl

[ advertisement ]